Minnesota Cooking: Cheesy Turkey in the Crock Pot - for Sandwiches
I was nominated to cook cheesy turkey for my daughter's college graduation party. She invited a bunch of people over for a bonfire and it was decided that food was needed. I went and purchased 3 turkey breasts to bake, but then, found a 24 pound frozen turkey selling for pennies a pound.
I like to cook my turkey from frozen, so, as soon as I got home, into a cooking bag it went. I melted a stick of butter and sprinkled Fry Magic over the entire bird. I chopped up one stalk of celery and added a few slices of onion.
Then, I sealed the bag and placed it in my oven at 350 for 9 hours. It was frozen and I find that this cooks the bird to fall off the bone tender and maintains that juiciness of the meat.
Remove the Bones
Remove the bones from the fully cooked bird.
I let it cool for a day and then, peeled the different layers from the bones and then, cut the pieces across the grain into bite size pieces.
Slice the cheese, then, place a layer of turkey, then four slices of cheese, another layer of turkey, four slices of cheese. Continue until your crock pot has all the turkey in it.
I put my crock pot in the refrigerator with the turkey and cheese. I will start the crock pot the day of the party. As the turkey and butter heats up, it will steam and the cheese will start to melt and then, as the heat and steam build, the cheese will slowly melt into all the spaces in the turkey.
According to all the recipes that I have read, it takes about four hours for the cheese to completely merge, then it's ready to spoon on to hamburger buns.
- 1/2 cup Fry Magic
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 24 pound turkey
- 3 pound brick Velveeta Cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken boullion
- hamburger buns
- Cook frozen turkey in oven cooking bag, using turkey, butter,celery,onion,fry magic,poultry seasoning. Cook 350 until fall off bone tender, about 9 hours.
- Pull meat from bones. Discard bones. Cut meat into bite size pieces. Layer in crock pot with 1/2 inch slices of cheese. Meat on top layer. Add water and boullion to create steam. Cook on high until warm, low until merged. About 6 hours.