Minnesota Cooking: Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie from Scratch
Crust and Baking TIps
When I roll out my dough balls, I use two pieces of plastic wrap and check my circle size with my pie plate. Then, to cover the plate, I remove the top layer of plastic wrap and place my pie plate on top of the crust and flip the entire combination over. Then, I remove that second sheet of plastic wrap and start to fill my pie.
I repeat the procedure with the second crust. But, instead of flipping the pie over, I simply grab the edges of the plastic and lift quickly and flop the crust on top of the pie. Then, I peel that plastic off the pie and voila, ready to vent, seal, sugar and bake.
Bake 375 for at least 40 minutes, but then check every 10 minutes. The filling should be at least 165 degrees or more. The pie will set upon cooling, so don't get too hasty cutting open your pie when warm, because it will be like a dish of koolaid until it sets.
- 3 cups flour, crust
- 1/2 tsp. salt, crust
- 2/3 cup oil, crust
- 2/3 cup water, crust
- 2 cups rhubarb, filling
- 2 cups strawberries, filling
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt, hot sauce
- 1/2 cup water, hot sauce
- 1 pkg strawberry jello, sugarfree, hot sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar, sugar coating
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, sugar coating
- Crust: In a bowl, mix 3 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 2/3 cup canola oil, 2/3 cup water together with a fork until it becomes a ball. Set aside. You will divide the ball into two equal pieces and roll them each into a flat circle. One for the bottom, and one for the top of your pie.
- Step One:Put bottom circle into your pie plate. Make sure your edges are to the edge of the pie pan.
- Hot Sauce: In saucepan, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup water, 1 package Strawberry jello, and 1 tablespoon Vanilla. Heat to boiling.
- Cold Filling: Cut rhubarb into small pieces. Cut strawberries into chunks. The total cup should equal 4 cups after you are done. Place them on your bottom crust.
- Pour your hot sauce over your rhubarb and strawberries, making sure to coat them evenly.
- Step Two: Cover filled pie with second crust. Seal edge with fork and press pie crust down around strawberries and rhubarb. Poke holes in crust with fork and place pie plate on pizza pan, to avoid boil over onto oven floor. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is at least 165 degrees. Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon across the top to the edges of the crust.
- Let cool until jello is set. Takes approximately four hours or overnight in a refrigerator.