Mint Ice Cream With Mini Chocolate Chips Recipe
Homemade ice cream is always great. I’ve made other recipes and thought I’d give mint chocolate chip a try and it turned out very well. I use mint chips instead of extract because it’s easier to work with. Also I use mini chocolate chips instead of normal ones because they are easier to mix in the ice cream machine.
Ice cream Ingredients:
4 oz. Mint chips
1 cup mini chocolate chips
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup of white sugar
1 and 1/8 teaspoon or up to 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract (less for bitter, more for sweeter)
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
¾ cup of white sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
6 egg yolks, whisked
2 cups of heavy cream (for after custard is made)
1. Microwave mint chip for 1 minute until they are melted.
2. Add cream a little at a time and stir until well blended.
3. Add vanilla and sugar and stir together.
4. Cover and chill in fridge while you make the custard.
5. In a medium saucepan or medium-sized pot over medium/medium high heat, add sugar, salt and cream and cook and stir until sugar is melted and mixture is hot. Temper the yolks into mixture: [when cream mixture is hot, add ¼ to ½ of the mixture slowly to the yolks and whisk until eggs are warm], and then add egg yolk and cream mixture back into the pot and cook over medium/medium high heat while constantly stirring until thick or for about 3-5 minutes. Do not let mixture boil or sit unstirred—this will cook the eggs and separated mixture into dark scrambled eggs and gooey milk syrup!
6. Strain custard through a sieve into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; pressing the plastic onto custard. This must be done to prevent a film from forming on top of the custard which will make the ice cream mixture snot-like. So completely press down onto and cover custard!
7. Chill the custard in the refrigerator for two hours.
8. After chilling, microwave mint mixture with ½ cup of cream until it mixes smoothly. This is because it will be hard and will not mix with the rest of the cream and custard.
9. Mix the cold custard, mint mixture and 1 ½ cups of heavy cream together until completely blended.
10. Add mini chocolate chips.
11. Churn in ice machine according to machine instructions.
12. Serve immediately for soft serve ice cream, or chill in the freezer 12-24 hours for harder ice cream.
More Recipes By Edgar Arkham
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe
Here is a recipe for peanut butter ice cream. it's one of my favorites. Enjoy!
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is my recipe for whole wheat peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Enjoy!
- Rhubarb Pie with Strawberries and Homemade Whipped C...
I didn't like rhubarb pie until I had it with another fruit added. This is the way I make it with strawberries. Thought I would share it and my homemade whipped cream. Enjoy.
- Three Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
I love making homemade ice cream. I thought I would share some of my personal recipes and see if you like them as much as I do.