Mint Mashala Makhana
MINT MASHALA MAKHANA
An easy and simple healthy snack recipe made with lotus seed and dry spices. it is generally made and served during the fasting as it contains all the required nutrients during fasting.Makhanas are quite low in calories, which is why they have become so popular as evening weight loss snacks, which you can munch on happily. A 50gms serving of dry-roasted makhanas has 180 calories and no saturated fat or sodium at all. Makhanas are rich in good carbohydrates and proteins. They are also gluten-free and contain a flavonoid called kaempferol, which has anti-inflammatory and anti-ageing properties. They are also high in magnesium, which is important for heart health and also the regulation of levels of calcium, potassium and sodium in the blood. Although, fox nuts are rich in carbohydrates, their glycaemic index is significantly lower than foods like rice, bread, etc. Makhanas are also rich in iron, which is important for haemoglobin formation in the blood and for optimum transportation of oxygen (through blood).
PREP TIME:2 MINUTES
COOK TIME:10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME:12 MINUTES
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 cup phool makhane / foxnuts / lotus seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp black salt
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 1 tbs chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 tbs cumin seed
- 1/4 tbs black mustard seed
- 1 green chille (optional)
- roasted peanut (optional)
- Firstly, in a frying pan /kadai heat 1 tsp ghee ,add the chille, cumin seed , mustard seed and the curry leaves.Roast it for few seconds untill the aroma comes out.
- Add the turmeric powder and chopped mint .
- after few seconds add the peanuts. If you do not want to add the peanuts you can skip it.
- add the phool makhana / lotus seeda at this point
- roast on low flame for 7-10 minutes or until the makhane turns crunchy.
- turn off the flame and add ¼ tsp pepper powder, ¼ tsp black salt (to taste)
- mix well making sure the spices are well coated.
- finally, enjoy masala makhana or store in an airtight container once cooled completely.