Miss Mo's Yummy Collard Green's Recipe.
Collard Green's is an iconic side dish famously associated with southern cooking and soul food.I learned to cook this delicious dish years ago by watching a lot of southern folks cook. Though there are many variation's , Im convinced my version is hands down DELICIOUS!..
For this recipe we will be using smoked pork neck bone's. I also like to use smoked turkey tail's too when it's available. If you can't find smoked neck bone's, you can use any smoked pork meat you can find.
Because dirt and sand can be caught between the Collard green leave's , it is important that you separate and wash each leaf thoroughly. It is equally important to remove the tough fiber stems from the green's.
Season the Collard Green's at the very end so you can get an accurate gauge of the salt & pepper content after the bacon gets added.
Don't forget to give me your feedback on how this dish came out!
- 2 lb Smoked Pork neck bones (or any smoke cured chicken or pork meat)
- 3 Bunch Collard Green's, Washed , stemmed & Chopped
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Large Cloves Garlic, chopped
- Half Small Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1/4 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1-2 Teaspoons Black Pepper, Or to taste
- 1-2 Teaspoon Course Sea Salt, Or to taste
- 1 lb Thick Cut Bacon, chopped
- Add 3 cups water and neck bone's to a large stewing pot. Bring to a boiling simmer covered for 1 hour and 30 minutes, add more water as needed. In a separate frying pan fry up the chopped bacon til the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy. Set the crispy bacon bits on the side.
- Check the neckbones after an hour and a half. At this point the meat should be fall off the bone tender. Shred the meat to the pot and discard the bone.
- Mix in your washed, stemmed and chopped collard green's ,diced onion and garlic to the pot. Be sure you have at least 2 cups of liquid in the pot before you add the Green's. Bring to a boil then simmer on medium high and Iet cook for an additional 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes , turn off the heat and add your bacon , butter, salt and pepper to taste, Serve & Enjoy!