Mocha Raspberry Trifle Recipe
What is a Trifle Dessert?
The first published trifle recipe was published in England during 1596. This was a thick, sweet cream containing sugar, ginger, and rosewater. Sixty years later milk was added to the mix, then the trifle kept evolving through creativity until it is what we have today.
A modern "trifle" is defined as a dessert dish that contains ingredients such as custard, fruit, sponge cake or soft cookie, fruit flavored juice, and whipped cream. Modern trifle dessert recipes encourage creativity and healthiness with fruit and other ingredients always being added or substituted for others. The combinations of this type of dessert are endless, with all of the different options to choose from for making a trifle. This special trifle dessert dish is also served in its own very special trifle bowl. Most of the trifle bowls are also called serving bowls. They can range from cheap and gets the job done to lavish and expensive. The trifle dessert dish, or also called trifle bowl, may come in glass, crystal, or other eye-catching material. Sometimes a large spoon is the only thing missing from this great combination of trifle dessert and beautiful serving bowl.
What About You?
Have you ever had a trifle dessert?
What is Mocha?
Mocha is the mixture of coffee with chocolate, in any form. This particular combination of coffee plus chocolate is called "mocha". It's like a marriage between coffee and chocolate. The coffee bean can be whole, powdered, or brewed. Blending it with chocolate by mixing, dipping, or other variables of this combination creates mocha. For example, a chocolate covered coffee bean to snack on would be a mocha bean. Another example of blending coffee with chocolate is the beloved mocha coffee drink, like the famous mocha latte, which actually is the chocolate and coffee combination with espresso added. This "mocha" concept is also true with baking and recipes. Mocha Raspberry means that the coffee/chocolate combination, along with raspberries. Any time you read or see the word "mocha", just remember it is the wedlock of coffee with chocolate.
We all know that raspberries are healthy by containing large amounts of antioxidants, like Vitamin C, but did you know that these small red berries are also loaded with potassium and fiber? The mixture of those ingredients increases the immune system and also improves our heart health. Consuming large amounts of raspberries has shown to increase healthy vision, protect against heart diseases, and cancers. These berries are sweet, but sour; they have a flavor that is unique and original to this particular berry, unlike the blackberry. Even the pigment contained in the raspberry has disease fighting abilities. Yellow and orange raspberries do exist, like the Honey Queen, but the red ones are a better health choice because of all the benefits they yield. The top three worldwide commercial production output of raspberry supply is Russia, Serbia, and the United States. These berries are often served with dark chocolate or even in yogurt or smoothies.
Mocha Raspberry Trifle
This recipe hub is for a mocha raspberry trifle, which is inspired by dark chocolate and fresh raspberries to increase health benefits. The ingredients for this special trifle are very healthy and beneficial. This dessert will also calm the craving for dark chocolate and raspberries, which is loved by many people. Do not substitute canned fruit for fresh or frozen fruit because this contains high levels of fructose corn syrup, which is increased sugar amounts.
Examples of alterations that can be made to this recipe are:
- Nilla Wafers instead of cake
- Cherries instead of raspberries
- Cream cheese added
- 1 pound sponge or pound cake, Chocolate preferred
- 1 pound Raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 1/2 ounce Dark chocolate, powdered
- 1 1/3 cup Whipping cream
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Corn starch
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon Water, hot
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla flavoring
|Serving size: 1 slice|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated fat 11 g||55%|
|Unsaturated fat 8 g|
|Carbohydrates 47 g||16%|
|Sugar 34 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 156 mg||52%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
A Piece of Heaven
- Whisk egg yolks, cornstarch, and sugar together in a cooking pan until smooth.
- Heat milk in a separate pan.
- Gradually stir warm milk into egg yolk mixture.
- Continue to cook- on medium, stirring constantly, just until mixture boils and begins to thicken.
- Combine coffee, water, and vanilla in small mixing bowl before adding the yolk mixture.
- Cover surface of pan with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming on the top and let cool at room temperature.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks begin to form and fold into prepared custard filling.
- Cut cake into 10-12 slices and place slices into trifle bowl.
- Layer cake evenly with custard, powdered dark chocolate, and raspberries. Repeat with cake and layers of toppings. *The amount of layers depends on the size of the trifle bowl used.
- Top the trifle with remaining custard, dark chocolate, and raspberries.
Glass Trifle Bowl For Purchase
More Trifle Dessert Recipes
- Easy Dessert Recipes: 4th of July Trifle
Ideas for 4th of July recipes, including an easy dessert recipe for a patriotic trifle. Photos included!
- Easy Desserts: Summer Fruit Trifle Recipe
Impress your friends and family with this elegant trifle recipe that is quick and easy to make. No cooking for this delicious layered cake with fruit and creamy pudding. Secret ingredients make the trifle shine as your dessert centerpiece.
- How to Make an Alcohol-Infused Strawberry & Blueberry Trifle
This is an "adult version" of a trifle, using strawberry-infused vodka. It's still light, refreshing, and great for those hot Summer days.
- Best Chocolate Kahlua Trifle Desert Recipe & Other Variations
If you like chocolate, you will love these variations of the Best Chocolate Trifle Recipe. Adding one ingredient gives it a completely different flavor. Kahlua, Cherry, Caramel, Brownie.
© 2012 Cristale Adams