Quick & Easy Potluck Black Forest Cake
About This Recipe
A number of years ago I worked at the local Royal Canadian Legion, the ladies auxiliary there are a wonderful bunch of ladies and are always eager to lend a helping hand with lunches and special functions.
Every so often we would have staff and volunteer get together's, and this is one of those all time recipes that one of the ladies shared with me.
My kids absolutely love this cake and ask me on a regular basis to make it for them.
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix, (I like German chocolate or chocolate fudge)
- 1 Can of Cherry Pie Filing, (any brand will do)
- 1/2 Bag of Small Marshmallows, (make sure they're white!)
- 1 500 ml Whipping Cream, (1/2 litre)
- 1 Tablespoon White Sugar, (optional)
- Cover bottom of 9" x 12" pan about an inch with small white marshmallows.
- Mix cake according to instructions on box.
- Pour cake mix over top of marshmallows.
- Pour cherry pie filling over the top of cake mix. The marshmallows help the cherries stay at different levels of the cake!
- Bake until middle is set and no longer jiggles. This usually takes about 10 minutes longer than the instructions on box because of the cherry pie filling..
- Set on rack to cool.
- Once completely cool (I like to refrigerate overnight), mix up whipping cream. I add about a tablespoon of sugar to help it whip up faster. Whip it with electric mixter on high until it is stiff. If you prefer you can use cool whip, but I like and always use the actual whipping cream.
- Frost the cake with whipping cream and enjoy!
A Tip 4 You!
For some reason, whipping cream 'eats' tinfoil. When covering your cake, if your cake pan doesn't have a lid, use plastic wrap instead of tinfoil.
More ideas for pot luck suppers
Other Variations to Try
While the mock black forest cake is my kids favorite, any type of cake mix and canned pie filling can be used. I have even made my pie filling from scratch at home and used it instead of the canned ones.
These are other variations I have tried with this recipe that work well together. They are all done in the same way as described above, just change the type of cake mix and the pie filling.
Apple Spice Cake - Use spice cake mix and apple pie filling.
Peach Delight - Use vanilla cake mix and peach pie filling.
Thanks for stopping by & Happy Baking!
© 2013 Dawn