Incredible Banana Bread - A Treat Anytime, Anywhere!
This recipe gives a nice sized loaf, or about 8 mini loaves. It is a moist, rich tasting recipe and the finished product can be safely frozen for long periods. I bake the full sized loaf for home or sometimes I have even made a layer cake using this recipe and the appropriate cake pans. When I do this I mix in chocolate chips and apply icing to the top, sides and middle just as if it were a layer cake. As a cake, it is kinda thick but rich and delicious.
I use the mini loaves for camping trips, hiking and picnics, they are an energetic and healthy snack that kids seem to love. You can even bake the banana bread in a round thin pie pan and spread icing on top of it to create a type of banana bread cake.
You can also spice this up by adding a cup of raisins or walnuts to the recipe. coconut is also a good addition, chocolate chips are always a winner. Usually 1 Cup is a good measurement to start with regarding the extras and then work according to taste from there. Banana bread is something that blends well with a lot of different things.
It is usually a good idea to place the mixture into the oven as soon as possible after mixing it. The mixture does not keep well in it's raw, unbaked format.
You can freeze banana bread for another time. I routinely bake a dozen mini loaves and then freeze them for another day.
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Medium sized eggs
- 1 cup mashed, ripe bananas, usually 3 standard sized bananas
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt, (Optional)
- 1 Cup Raisins (coconut, walnuts, etc), (Optional)
Do not allow the butter to melt completely. Butter or margarine that is at room temperature or slightly warmer blends in the best for this recipe.
You could use 'over ripe' bananas to good effect with this recipe, however fresh bananas make for a slightly better bread in the end. The difference seems to affect texture more than taste.
- Blend softened butter or margarine and sugar together. Add in eggs one at a time. Add bananas. In a 2-Cup measuring cup (or another bowl) add flour, baking powder,baking soda and salt. Pour flour into moist ingredients mixture and blend together for 5 minutes. Add any extras (Raisins, coconut, etc) and blend thoroughly.
- Pour into greased loaf pan(s). If using more than one pan, fill each pan to the half way mark. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour then check with toothpick every 10 minutes after that til the toothpick comes out clean. Cooking times vary based on ovens.
Values are stated without the optional ingredients.
|Serving size: 57g|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 31 g||10%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Nutritional values source
- Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Bread, banana, prepared from recipe, made with margarine
Nutrition facts and Information for Bread, banana, prepared from recipe, made with margarine
© 2012 Robin Olsen