- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Mongolian Beef Recipe
Mongolian Beef has long been a favourite dish of mine, since the first time I had it in a restaurant.
But What is Mongolian Beef?
Mongolian beef is a dish made with thin strips of beef which are fried until crisp then coated with a delicious sweet and savoury sauce that then makes a truly irresistible dish.
Mongolian Beef does not originate from Mongolia. In fact it is a dish invented in chinese restaurants here in the UK. It has now become a very popular western oriental dish. if you have not tried it, try it .
Here I show you how to make your own Mongolian Beef.
- Beef Steak cut into thin strips
- Equal parts of plain white flour and corn flour
- 2-3 tsp Thai 7 spice seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup of Sake
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Roasted Cashew Nuts for garnish
- Fresh cilantro
Mongolian beef does not take a long time to cook (around 3 minutes for the beef and 3 minutes for the vegetables) so preparation is essential to make sure you are ready to cook.
- Firstly mix the garlic, ginger and fresh chillies together, then divide in half (we will use one half for the vegetables and the other half for the sauce)
- Slice the pepper and onions and place into a bowl
- Prepare all the sauce ingredients
- Toast the cashew nuts in a dry frying pan and set aside.
- You should need 2 woks/saucepans/frying pans ( 1 for frying the beef - could even use a deep fryer?, and one for the vegetables and sauce
Step 1: Fry The beef
- In a large bowl mix the corn and plain flours and add the Thai 7 spice seasoning.
- Coat each beef piece individually
- Once you have coated all the peices prepare your wok or frying pan.
- Add a small amount of cooking oil, enough to be able to shallow fry the beef.
- Heat the oil until hot, then add the beef in batches so as not to overload the wok.
- Fry on a high heat stirring occasionally for around 3 minutes.
- Make sure you do not overcook the beef as it will go dry.
- Drain the been onto kitchen paper and set aside
Step 2: Make the Mongolian Beef Sauce
- In a sauce pan heat a little oil
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilli mixture (first half) and fry for 30 second
- Add the sake and allow to reduce
- Add the soy sauce, and oyster sauce, dried chilli, honey and sugar and mix well
- Stir and allow to reduce over a gentle heat.
- Taste to make sure the sauce is both sweet & spicy.
- Drain and set aside
- Keep the same pan with a little residue of the sauce for step 3
Step 3 - Fry The Vegetables
- In the same saucepan add a little oil then the other half of the ginger, garlic and chilli mix
- Fry for 30 seconds then add the onion and peppers
- Fry for around 3 minutes until they are all cooked
Step 4 - Mix all the ingredients
- Add the beef back into the same saucepan with the vegetables
- Warm through
- Slowly pour over the Mongolian beef sauce and mix well
- Stir in the cilantro
- Garnish with the toasted cashew nuts
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy.
Well I hoped you enjoyed the Mongolian Beef recipe and let me know how yours came out. You can actually try this with chicken or fish by just replacing the meat and ammending the frying time depending on the meat used.
Other Mongolian beef Recipe
- Mongolian Beef Recipe
The best recipe for Mongolian Beef is here. Step by step pictures of the original sticky beef dish that got a website named after it. Find out the easy way to make mongolian beef.