- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
More Chick Pea Recipes
Chick peas are right at the top of my list of foods that must always be on hand. I keep one can (19oz) in the fridge at all times. Why the fridge, I like them cold. Canned chick peas need to be drained and rinsed twice before using.
Sometimes I will marinate them for 2-3 hours but that all depends upon what I plan to use them for, lime or lemon juice add an interesting flavour.
Chick pea and tuna salad:
1 19 oz can chick peas, drained and rinsed twice
2 6 oz can flaked tuna, drained
6 radishes, sliced thin
1 small onion diced
1 celery stalk sliced thin
¼ medium cabbage, sliced thin as if for cole slaw
Seas salt and black pepper to taste
Dressing of your choice
A sprinkle of vinegar and lime works well, but you could use a blue cheese or balsamic vinaigrette as well.
Place cabbage into salad bowl
Add chick peas
add all other ingredients
Season to suit your mood.
Chick Pea Stew
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium-sized red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 10- ounce package frozen corn
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 16-ounce can chickpeas (also labelled as garbanzo beans)
1 cup tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons green onions, sliced (optional)
1. In a large saucepan add onion, bell pepper, garlic and stir-fry until onion is tender.
- Stir in paprika and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, water, corn and oregano then raise heat to bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, then stir thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
The green onions may be sprinkled on top when serving.