Mo's Classic Hawaiian Style Macaroni Salad
Macaroni Salad is thee all time favorite salad of choice traditionally served alongside any Island meal or "Plate Lunch" as called by the locals in Hawaii. You can walk into just about any restaurant in Hawaii and pick from an endless choice of dishes and side dishes and no matter where you go , the macaroni salad will always be served and taste deliciously the same.
It first starts with the mayonnaise that you are going to be using. To get that truly authentic taste and creamy consistency always use Best Foods, Hellmans or Portmans brand mayonnaise only. These are all the same Best Foods brand mayonnaise packaged under different lableing brands depending on which part of North America you live in.
Secondly the chopped hard boiled eggs combined with the cooked elbow macaroni and mayonnaise add that creamy and textured dimension to the salad.
Then the grated carrot and onion creates the flavor element from the subtle sweetness of the grated carrots and the freshness that the onion gives.
Lastly the salt adds the savory element while the pepper adds that spicy kick to the salad. Very inexpensive & quick to make and a little makes a lot with this recipe. 8-16 servings off of one 16oz box of elbow macaroni, 1-30oz bottle of mayonnaise, 1 carrot and half an onion. Not bad at all I say..
Excellent to pair with any beef, chicken, pork or fish dish, I promise you it will be a hit with everyone at your gathering..
- 1- 30 oz. jar Best Foods, Hellmans or Portmans Mayonaise
- 1-16oz box Elbow Macaroni, Boiled
- 1 Carrot, Grated
- 1/2 small Yellow Onion, grated
- 2-3 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, or to taste
- Start by boiling 8 eggs and the entire box of elbow noodles. This should take about 10-12 minutes roughly or until noodles are al dente and the eggs are cooked through hard.. Drain and set aside to cool when done. Do not rinse
- Once the noodles and eggs are cooled and drained , peel and chop the eggs then transfer the noodles into a large mixing bowl. Grate your carrot and onion directly into the mixing bowl along with your peeled and chopped hard boiled eggs then add half the jar of mayonaise & mix well.depending on how cool your noodles are you may need to mix in half of the other half of mayonaise or the rest of the mayonaise. You want a well coated creamy texture not a dry one.
- Add your salt & Pepper to your tasting, cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Mix well before serving. This salad goes well as a side dish to accompany any meat and rice dish.