- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Mums' Tuna Mornay
- 3 x Cans (large) Tuna Chunks in Brine
- chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 small onion (halved)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch pepper
- small bayleaf
- 1 oz. butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 oz's Kraft cheddar cheese
- Drain tuna & pour into casserole dish (a lasagne dish is ideal!), and sprinkle with chopped parsley, lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Heat milk onion and seasonings in a saucepan. Cover and stand for ten minutes.
- Melt butter, add flour and cook a few minutes.
- Strain milk, and add to butter mixture gradually, stirring until sauce boils - (I use a whisk for this as it takes out any flour lumps and leaves a smooth, creamy sauce!).
- Add grated cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Pour mornay sauce over tuna and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven 160 - 180 degrees C until golden brown on top and bubbling!
- Let sit a few minutes before serving.