Healthy Easy Tuna OR Chicken Salad Recipe with Ranch Dressing and Sour Cream
Let the world know what you thought about this recipe!
I have always loved both tuna and chicken salad. However, it took me a number of years to develop a recipe of my own that I really liked. This is largely because I never liked using mayonnaise as a base for either salad, and it took me a while to come up with a good alternative. Now I have a simple base recipe that I can use with both tuna and chicken. This may not be the healthiest recipe, but I don't think that Ranch and sour cream are much worse than mayo. If you'd like to cut down on the calories, consider using a light or low-fat version of Ranch and/or sour cream. Enjoy!
Do you prefer cucumber over green pepper or are interested in switching up the recipe a little? Give it a try! Alternatively, if you're serving a group of people with varying tastes, keep the vegetables in the salad simple and serve one or two extra vegetables on the side.
Tip: One of the easiest ways to make shredded chicken is in a slow cooker. Grease a slow cooker pan and add one or two chicken breasts. Cook them on low heat for six to six and a half hours or until they shred easily with a fork.
- two 5 oz cans tuna, drained OR
- one chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- two generous tablespoons Ranch dressing
- three generous tablespoons sour cream
- two green onions, chopped
- half of a sweet pepper (any color), chopped
- three or four cherry tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- small handful of dried cranberries (optional)
- small handful of cashews (optional)
How can you eat chicken or tuna salad?
Just a Few Ideas
all by itself
served on a bed of lettuce or fresh spinach leaves
in a cold sandwich
in a hot sandwich, such as a tuna melt
in a wrap
alongside plain pasta or macaroni and cheese
- Tuna. My general rule is that I use one 5 oz. can of tuna for each person, which will leave a little left over. Tuna salad makes a great leftover. Are you serving more people? Simply add more cans accordingly and adjust the remaining ingredients as needed.
- Chicken. If I have time, I like to make the chicken ahead of time on the stove or stick it in the slow cooker in the morning. Preparing the chicken ahead of time makes for a simple lunch or dinner prep. If you like to plan way ahead with your meals, you can prepare and freeze chicken to use at a later date.
How to Chop Vegetables
- Wash and chop the pepper and green onions. If you're adding cucumber and/or tomato, wash and chop them at this time as well.
- Combine the vegetables with the tuna or chicken.
- Add the Ranch dressing and sour cream. Mix everything together thoroughly.
- If desired, add a handful of dried cranberries and/or cashews on top before serving. Are you serving the salad in a sandwich or wrap? You may prefer to mix them in at the last minute before preparing the final dish.
More Recipes From the Author
- Cold Orzo Pasta Salad Recipe With Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
This recipe for cold orzo pasta salad with tomatoes and feta cheese is easy, healthy, and perfect for summer. It includes a side dish recipe for seasonal sauteed vegetables.
- Easy Spinach, Cheese, and Sausage Calzone Recipe
Learn how to make your own spinach, cheese, and sausage calzones at home! This is an easy, healthy, family-friendly recipe.