My Grandma's Famous Nut Sponge Cake
Grandma Vicky's Famous Nut Sponge Cake
This Nut Sponge Cake comes from my grandmother's cake recipe Rolodex. This is also my personal favorite of all the recipe's she has to choose from. This cake is a great birthday cake alternative for your store bought cakes. I know this from personal experience. You have got to take the time one day to make one of these. I promise it won't let your mouth down!
It is not a heavy cake at all; more light and fluffy as well as the icing to go with it. I'm sure you could make your own variations by changing the type of nut or icing flavor, however, I really do suggest you try the original. It is one of the greatest cakes I have ever tasted. Your kids and family will love you for it and it's great for holiday's and family or friend gatherings too. I'm sure it will be somebody elses favorite cake one day too. Maybe yours.
Now, I must warn you ahead of time this cake requires a little time to prepare. But the end result is a magnificent and eyecatching cake. Try adding fresh strawberries to the top for an extra garnish.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Grease and lightly flour Tube Pan
- 8 extra large (or jumbo) eggs; separated
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ Presto self-rising cake flour
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 2 tsps vanilla (add to egg yolks)
- 8 tblsps ice water
Then with your ingredients you are going to:
- Beat eggs whites very stiff; put aside
- Beat egg yolks with vanilla until thick consistency
- Add sugar to yolks; beat well
- Add ice water; beat well
- Add ground walnuts; blend in
- Fold in 1 1/4 cake flour
- Fold in egg whites
Bake in tube pan at 375 degrees for 30 minutes; check to see if done; check every 5 minutes skewer is dry
Remove from oven and hang over bottle until completely cool. Remove from pan. (An empty Baily's Irish Cream bottle works perfectly here, that is what she would always used)
- 4-6 ozs cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- (dash) of salt
- 4 tblsps cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 - 1 ½ cups heavy cream
Start at top and blend ingredients in order to desired taste and consistency!!!