- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How to make fresh Pico del Gallo?
This is such a quick and easy recipe, which I've used in our family meals and gatherings. I enjoy making this because it requires very little preparation work and it's all fresh produce which is the best part of all for flavor.
Sometimes, I even use vegetables straight from the garden when available. My recipe has a robust texture in my opinion compared to any jarred salsa kind. Besides, it has to be healthier for you without all those preservatives in the items found in jarred or canned. I hope you and your family will also come to enjoy it as much as our family has/will for many years to come.
- 4-6 roma/vine tomatoes, diced
- half of 1 red onion (sweetness), diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
- small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 whole lemon, halved
- container seasoning(mixture), sprinkle
- bottle olive oil, dash
- First thing you need to do is get all your ingredients listed together. Keep in mind fresh is better. If missing lemon or garlic, substitute for bottled lemon juice or jarred minced garlic, but not preferred. Can also substitute white onion for red onion. I recommend using the red onion for the sweetness and flavor. Otherwise, if still missing some ingredients head to the supermarket straight to produce section in the front of the store at most places. If you have all the items, next you will want to grab out your cutting board, knife and bowl of choice. Proceed to the next step.
- Prep Time. Gather your fresh ingredients and be sure to wash each thoroughly and blot dry with a paper towel before cutting. Place your cutting board in front of you along with the knife of choice. Start dicing out the tomatoes and placing juice and tomatoes in the bowl. Then dice your onion, add to bowl. Finely chop up the small bunch of cilantro stems and flower. Add to the bowl. Take the whole lemon, half it and squeeze the juice directly on top of the other ingredients in bowl. Make sure no lemon seeds get in it, if so, discard them. Finally, add your season of choice. I prefer a mix blend of garlic powder, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper and onion powder. Or a Ms Dash seasoning. Season to taste. If needing a little kick to it add a couple/few dashes of hot sauce. Mix well. Go to final step.
- Refrigerate Time. Whether, you store your Pico in the current bowl or place in a storage container, be sure it's tightly sealed. You may also use plastic wrap, but I prefer a storage container with lid for excellent sealant method. Place container in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. This provides time for blending. Give it a quick stir and serve it with chips, fajitas, tacos, eggs or what your heart desires in place of the typical jarred salsa.
Below are my own pictures .................
Be sure to refrigerate any remaining Pico del Gallo in an airtight container and can be keep for at least a couple days before needs to be discarded.
Remember the substitutions for ingredients if in a pinch.
From one house to another->Hope it becomes one of your family's favorites too.
<div class="hubpages_widget" style="width:160px; margin:0 auto 20px auto !important;">
<a href="http://hubpages.com/">more »</a>
<a href="http://hubpages.com/" class="hubpages">HubPages</a>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>