Easy Homemade Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Since I’m American, this is not an authentic Shepherd’s Pie recipe, but I have tried quite a few times to make my own version of it and after many attempts, this is the one that I like the most.Enjoy!
Use a large baking or casserole dish with a 2-3 inch depth.
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees f.
6 large russet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
½ cup whole or vitamin D milk
1 stick (8 tablespoons/ ½ cup) of butter
1 large onion (diced)
2 large carrots (diced)
3 medium celery stalks (diced)
4—6 cloves garlic (minced) (optional)
1 lb. lamb (ground)
1 lb. sausage (ground) (in some markets you can buy it in bulk, w/ no casing)
1—2 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
1—2 tbsp. of London Pub Steak & Chop sauce (taste)
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Marjoram
1 tsp. Oregano
1 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
*Note: The herb amounts are approximate, you can use as little or as much as you wish; the same goes for the Worcestershire and London Pub sauces. I have used as much as 2 tbsp. each of the sauces, but you might find it too much. The garlic is optional; this recipe works well with it and without it.
1. In a large pot of boiling water boil potatoes until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes). Note: the smaller pieces the potatoes are cut into the quicker they will cook.
2. Mash cooked potatoes together with butter and milk until whipped and smooth. Add pepper if desired.
3. In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the diced onions, carrots, celery and garlic until translucent; about 8 minutes.
4. Add lamb, sausage, Worcestershire sauce, London Pub sauce, pepper, marjoram, and oregano to the skillet. Cook until meat is browned.
5. Spread cooked meat mixture into baking/casserole dish.
6. Spread mashed potatoes over the meat.
7. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the potatoes.
8. Bake uncovered in oven for 45 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
9. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes before serving.
More Recipes By Edgar Arkham
- Yorkshire Pudding Recipe
In America every time when we think of pudding we think of Jello, but in Britian a pudding can be something other than a dessert. A Yorkshire Pudding is kind of like a dinner roll that is usually served with gravy. I thought I would share my recipe.
- Homemade Goulash With Pasta
This is a recipe that my mother used to make. It's a meat and pasta
- Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
Most of us buy salad dressing from the store not realizing we can make it at home and make it taste even better than the store bought stuff. This is my recipe for Thousand Island. Enjoy!