- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
- A whole chicken or if you prefer just chicken breast please do so. There is no rules really what type of chicken (organic or non organic) and how many pieces of chicken you want to cook.
- A can of coconut milk
- Curry leaves (5-6 pieces)
- Two shallots chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4-5 tablespoons of curry powder of your choice (mix it with some water to make paste)
- 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 4 tomatoes cut into cubes
- Vegetable oil
- 2 star anise
- A cinnamon stick
- 2-3 pieces of cloves
- 2-3 pieces of green cardamom
- A tablespoon of tamarind juice
- Salt to taste
- A tablespoon of kerisik
* Mom's trick - for best curry coated the chicken with turmeric powder and just a little bit of salt and fry them for about 5 minutes each side. Take out the chicken and let it sit before we start the cooking.
* Kerisik - fresh grated coconut toasted in a pan until it golden brown (widely used in Malaysian, Indonesian and Singapore cooking)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- First saute the curry leaves with shallots, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, cardamom, star anise, and cloves. Stir all the spices until they mix well together. Here is where you can smell the aromatic flavor of the spices around your house!
- Add the curry paste, the kerisik and mix them well and continue stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, coconut milk and cover the pan. Let it simmer over a medium heat for about 30 minutes. At this point you can add some water if you want to have more sauce.
- Add the tamarind juice,tomatoes, and salt and don't forget to taste!
- The curry should be ready in 5 minutes and it is best served with basmati rice, roti and some scallions garnished on top!
© 2017 Liza Ikram