- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Excitement for the Palate
If you like fried rice, this Indonesian delight will literally, knock your socks off. Intensified with a bit of heat, this could well be your next success story at your next dinner party for the boss and his wife. All ingredients are readily available, but you might have to visit the oriental grocery for the keycap manis, which is a sweet, thick black soy sauce. I promise you that the side trip will be worth it. You can prepare this in a wok, or a large frying pan, but whatever you choose, it is quick, easy, and delectable after a hard day at work. Have a ball with this one, and enjoy. You'll make it again.
- 2 cups long-grained rice
- 2 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion
- 2 fresh green chills or jalapeños
- 1 leek
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 pound chicken pieces
- 1/2 pound shelled shrimp or prawn
- 3 tbsp. kecap manis
- 1 clove garlic
- This dish is best with cold leftover rice. Make the rice the night before, and knock 20 minutes off the preparation time. If you choose to cook fresh rice, let it cool at least 4 hours.
- Beat eggs and make omelet, slice into strips, then set aside.
- Heat oil in wok or large frying pan. Add chopped onion, leek garlic, and chilis or jalapeños. Fry until onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add coriander and cumin, mixing well.
- Cut chicken into strips and add with shrimp or prawn to onion mixture, and cook, stirring occasionally until well mixed.
- Add rice, kecap manis(black soy), and omelet strips. Cook for 5 more minutes.