National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!
Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!
Shall we ask for a drum roll please, or for a moment of silence?
If one were to look up the word(s) “comfort food” in the dictionary, would there not be a photograph of a grilled cheese sandwich?
Think about it.
Bread shimmering with a light brush of olive oil, margarine, or (dear Heaven!) pure Irish butter. Then that bread is slowly toasted until it becomes crisp and golden. Encased within that tender-crisp bread shield is a buttery, creamy, oozy layer of cheese.
Does life get any better than this?
Imagine for a moment these combinations.
Everyone knows how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, so I won't insult your intelligence by giving you a step-by-step guideline. But allow me to present a few flavor combinations that you might not have thought of before:
- Bread - Oatmeal
- Cheese - Smoked Gouda, shredded
- Protein - Crisp cooked bacon slices
- Vegetable or Fruit - thinly sliced honey crisp apple
- Condiment - Dijon mustard
- Bread - brioche
- Cheese - Gruyère
- Protein - deli-sliced ham
- Condiment - cherry preserves
- Bread - rustic Italian loaf
- Cheese - fresh Mozarella
- Vegetable or Fruit - fresh tomato slices, fresh basil leaves
- Condiment - drizzle of balsamic vinegar
The second happiest day in my kitchen is Thanksgiving Day. The happiest day in my kitchen is the day after Thanksgiving. That's when we take tender slices of moist turkey, leftover cranberry sauce, and use them to create an amazing sandwich. Just like this one with turkey, cranberry, and (the most Heavenly cheese of all!), brie.
- Grown-Up Farmhouse Grilled Cheese Recipe : Claire Robinson : Food Network
Tangy farmhouse white cheddar, salty pancetta, and sweet heirloom tomatoes.
But Wait, There's More!
I have many more ideas in my tiny little brain for which I do not have photos:
- shredded rotisserie chicken, cheddar, avocado, and chipotle mayonnaise
- sliced deli roast beef, Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, crisp cooked bacon slices, and sour cream
- tomato, feta cheese, sliced Kalamata olives, and tzatziki sauce
- sliced deli turkey, goat cheese, chopped smoked almonds, and fresh minced rosemary leaves
OK, so not my lengthiest, most intensely researched, or informative Hub, but I have work to do.
I need to make sandwiches!
© 2015 Linda Lum