- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!
Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!
Shall we ask for a drum roll please, or for a moment of silence?
If one were to look up the word(s) “comfort food” in the dictionary, would there not be a photograph of a grilled cheese sandwich?
Think about it.
Bread shimmering with a light brush of olive oil, margarine, or (dear Heaven!) pure Irish butter. Then that bread is slowly toasted until it becomes crisp and golden. Encased within that tender-crisp bread shield is a buttery, creamy, oozy layer of cheese.
Does life get any better than this?
Imagine for a Moment These Combinations
Everyone knows how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, so I won't insult your intelligence by giving you a step-by-step guideline. But allow me to present a few flavor combinations that you might not have thought of before:
- Bread - Oatmeal
- Cheese - Smoked Gouda, shredded
- Protein - Crisp cooked bacon slices
- Vegetable or Fruit - thinly sliced honey crisp apple
- Condiment - Dijon mustard
- Bread - brioche
- Cheese - Gruyère
- Protein - deli-sliced ham
- Condiment - cherry preserves
- Bread - rustic Italian loaf
- Cheese - fresh Mozarella
- Vegetable or Fruit - fresh tomato slices, fresh basil leaves
- Condiment - drizzle of balsamic vinegar
But Wait, There's More!
I have many more ideas in my tiny little brain for which I do not have photos:
- shredded rotisserie chicken, cheddar, avocado, and chipotle mayonnaise
- sliced deli roast beef, Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, crisp cooked bacon slices, and sour cream
- tomato, feta cheese, sliced Kalamata olives, and tzatziki sauce
- sliced deli turkey, goat cheese, chopped smoked almonds, and fresh minced rosemary leaves
And Then There Are Ideas From the Foodies on the Internet
- Grown-Up Farmhouse Grilled Cheese Recipe : Claire Robinson : Food Network
Tangy farmhouse white cheddar, salty pancetta, and sweet heirloom tomatoes.
OK, so not my lengthiest, most intensely researched, or informative Hub, but I have work to do.
I need to make sandwiches!
© 2015 Linda Lum