- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
No Cheese No Sauce Pizza Recipe
Who Said Pizza Isn't Healthy?
This pizza is perfect for vegetarians, vegans, or anyone else who is trying to watch what they eat. This pizza is also a yummy solution for anyone with cheese and/or tomato sauce allergies.
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar (or succanat or pure maple syrup)
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Warm water
- 1 Tablespoon Yeast
- 3 and 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, Plus more for later
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 Large Onions, Diced
- Your favorite organic vegetables For toppings
- First, in a large bowl, dissolve the sugar completely in the warm water.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, sprinkle the yeast over the water and allow about 10 minutes for the yeast to activate before going to the next step. The yeast should be foamy when it is ready.
- Once the yeast mixture is ready, add 3 cups flour, salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil and begin to mix.
- Mix the dough until the dough begins to come off of the edges of the bowl and becomes one piece.
- Prepare a kneading surface by sprinkling about 1/2 cup flour on a hard surface (counter top works well).
- Empty the dough out onto the floured surface and begin kneading the dough. Continue kneading the dough for about 5 to 10 minutes or until all of the flour had been incorporated into the dough. The dough should still be pliable but also firm.
- Oil a large bowl with olive oil and place the dough into the bowl. Flip the dough around inside the bowl until it is well coated with the oil
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- After an hour and the dough has doubled in size, slide the dough out and cut the dough into two pieces. Shape each piece into a tight ball and place each one into a bowl and let the dough(s) rise for about another 45 minutes. Note: Skip step 9 if you want to make one thick crust dough. The dough should only be separated if you want two thin crust pizzas.
- After the dough has been allowed to rise for another 45 minutes, empty the dough onto a lightly floured surface and begin rolling out the dough.
- Once the dough had been rolled out, place the dough onto a baking sheet and fold in the edges to form your crust.
Prepare Your Toppings
Caramelized onions are the base for the toppings and will form the "sauce" part of the pizza. Caramelize 1-2 yellow onions and spread them onto the pizza crust.
Next, chop up your fresh organic toppings and place the slices on top of the onion.
Once you have piled up all of your toppings, bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned.
Congratulations! You just made a healthy meal from scratch.