- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Not Your Average Verde Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
A Spin on the Classic Mexian Dish
I am addicted to Enchiladas; so naturally, I am always in search of a new recipe or the local taco shops version of this amazing dish. Because I love enchiladas so much, I decided to make my own with all the ingredients and flavors I thought should be included. After a few attempts, I stumbled upon this creation, and have been making them this way ever since! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- 2 large cans Verde Enchilada Sauce
- Corn Tortillas
- 3 cups Cooked Chicken, Chopped
- 3/4 package Queso Fresco
- 1.5 cups Mozzarella, Shredded
- 1.5 cups Mexican 4 Cheese Blend, Shredded
- Green Onion, Diced
- 1 to 2 Cans Green Chilies, Diced
- Approx. 2 tbsp Garlic, Minced
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Onion Powder, to taste
- Vegetable Oil, (Optional Step #4)
- If the Chicken isn't cooked yet, start with grilling the chicken. Sprinkle with a little Pepper for flavor. Amount of Chicken is dependent upon the size of the batch you are making. Two chicken breasts should be plenty for one small/ medium pan of Enchiladas. Three if you are making a large pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the following ingredients: ~ Chicken, Chopped ~ Queso Fresco, Crumble into bowl ~ Mozzarella Cheese ~ Mexican 4 Cheese Blend ~ Green Onion, Diced ~ Garlic ~ Canned Diced Green Chilies ~ Garlic Powder ~ Salt & Pepper. Mix and taste for preference. This will be the inner makings of your Enchiladas. Remember, all ingredient amounts can be manipulated based on your taste preference.
- In a large pot, warm the canned Verde Enchilada sauce. Add Garlic Powder (approx. 1 tsp.), Onion Powder (approx. 1 tsp.) and Pepper.
- (This step is optional, and helps to make sure your enchiladas do not get mushy.) In a medium sized skillet, add vegetable oil and warm to medium heat. Lightly dip each corn tortilla into the hot vegetable oil and allow both sides to lightly fry. You should need no more than 30 seconds on each side.
- Line your pan with a layer of Verde Sauce. Begin filling each tortilla with 2 to 3 spoonfuls of the innards and roll the tortilla up. Place upside down in your pan so the middle can't fall out; and up against the edge to begin creating a row. Repeat these steps until your pan is full, or you run out of innards. Scoop Verde Sauce over the tops of your now full pan so your Tortilla edges don't dry out while baking.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella and 4 Cheese Blend Cheeses on top.
- Wrap your pan in foil. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before eating.