- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
This recipe is guaranteed to please even your pickiest eater. It pleases mine.
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, yellow or white
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, optional
- 2 eggs, fresh, organic are best
- milk, enough to combine and make a thick batter
- approximately 2 cups okra, sliced
- minced onion, optional
- Cook sliced okra in small amount of oil just until the okra changes to a different shade of green. Remove from heat.
- Combine other ingredients except okra while oil is heating in the deep fryer or pot. Stir okra into cornbread batter. This should be thick.
- Drop by the spoonful into the hot oil. Let hushpuppie brown on one side and flip to let the other side brown. Work quickly to avoid burning.
- Remove okra hushpuppies from the oil. Drain on paper towel lined plates.
At my house, we are on a quest to find new ways to cook okra, yellow summer squash, and zucchini. The preceding recipe is what my picky vegetable hating husband and I came up with. This one was cooked with okra. But, we have made these using a mix of zucchini and summer squash. When we cooked with the squash, I made sure to cook the squash in boiling water until soft. I then mashed it like I was making potatoes before adding it into the cornbread batter.
When my husband eats okra, he likes to have a few slices of white bread with it. His dad used to eat fried okra by tearing a piece off the bread and wrapping around a few pieces of okra. My husband does the same thing. This recipe eliminates the need for those pieces of sliced bread. This is just fried okra with extra breading.
We serve these with what we call a garden supper. Everything on the table comes from the summer garden or in our case the produce section at our grocery. I will serve a pot of green beans, corn on the cob or skillet corn, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, fresh strawberries, peaches, and/or watermelon.
Pots to Deep Fry With
Other recies by lcbenefield
- Bite You Back Potato Soup
This potato soup has an unexepected spicy bite. It's one of the best potato soup recipes I've ever eaten. This is an easy recipe to cook with.
- Easy Cheap Chicken Pot Pie
A qucik get me out of the kitchen in no time recipe for a classic favorite, chicken pot pie. This recipe is cheap to make too.