- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Old Fashioned Apple Chews
I had forgotten all about apple chews until going through my list of old fashioned recipes. They are a sweet and chewy treat perfect for apple season. They take awhile to set but are fairly straight forward to actually cook. I hope you enjoy them, I like the chewy texture and sweet fruity taste.
- 2 Tbs. unflavored gelatin, (2 envelopes)
- 1 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Cups sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 Tbs. Vanilla
- 1 Cup chopped walnuts/pecans, (optional)
- powdered sugar, (for rolling)
- Sprinkle gelatin into 1/2 cup of applesauce and set it aside to dissolve.
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 Cup applesauce, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Cook the mixture for 10 minutes over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Next stir in the 1/2 cup of applesauce w/ dissolved gelatin. Cook over low heat for 15 more minutes. Continue stirring.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla and nuts if wanted.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 8X8 inch pan.
- Cover with cloth and let stand overnight. Cut into squares and roll in powdered sugar.