Old Fashioned Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
This is the absolute best carrot cake you will ever make. The layers just melt together with the cream cheese. Every bite is mouth watering. Once you make this old fashioned moist carrot cake with cream cheese- you will never make another carrot cake recipe. From our home to you yours.
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons baking soda + 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 6 sticks unsalted butter + butter to coat bake pans
- Cream cheese frosting ingredients
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 2 lb Bag confectioners powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecans chopped
- coconut for the outside of the cake, optional
- 1/2 cup pecans for the top of the cake
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 4 12 inch cake pans. Set aside.
- We are going to start making our cake. In a mixing bowl cream the butter with the sugar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. Grate your carrots if they haven't already been grated.
- Start mixing in the flour mixture to your creamed butter mixture alternating with the eggs. Beat well after each addition of each. Now add your grated carrots.
- After mixed well fold in the nuts, and pour into your four cake pans that have been buttered. Bake in your preheated oven about 20-25 minutes- till you insert a fork and it comes out clean. Dont over bake here. You want the cake moist and slightly underdone. let cool on wire racks when done
- Lets start making the frosting
- Cream your cream cheese well until light and fluffy. Now add your confectioners powdered sugar and vanilla and beat well. Now add in your pecans.
- Lay your 1st cake on a cake plate or stand. Ice with your cream cheese icing- and sprinkle with a few pecans. Continue to layer the cake with the icing till you have all the layers coated.
- Now begin to ice the outside of the cake. The cream cheese do-sent ice like frosting but it does coat well. Don't worry about crumbs if you are going to use coconut on the outside.
- This is optional- Start sprinkling coconut on the cream cheese frosting. Start to coat the sides- by patting the coconut on the icing with your hands. Go all around the cake, and sprinkle pecans on the top of the cake for decorating. You are done with your cake.
Other recipe suggestions
If you like this one check out my Chocolate Truffle Cake Recipe. It is so delicious and moist. Chocolate layers between Chocolate Truffle Ganache.