Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe
Peanut Butter Fudge
Easy Peanut Butter Fudge
Often times, when people think of the old-fashioned way of cooking, they think of the older generations slaving away for hours upon hours over a hot stove. With this delicious peanut butter fudge recipe, that is just not the case. Passed through my family for four generations, this super easy to make fudge recipe only requires 6 basic ingredients that can be found in any kitchen and is ready to serve within 20 minutes.
As my mother was teaching me how to make this fudge, I learned that my great-great grandmother used this exact recipe during the Depression. It was very hard to get their hands on enough peanut butter and sugar to make this fudge, but when they managed to do so, this was indeed a treasured treat that the whole family enjoyed. To learn how to make this old-fashioned peanut butter fudge recipe for your family, read further for a list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions.
Rate this Fudge Recipe
Peanut Butter Fudge Ingredients
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Fudge
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 stick (or 1/4 cup) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray or extra butter for serving dish
How to Make Peanut Butter FudgeClick thumbnail to view full-size
8x8 Serving Dish
Peanut Butter Fudge Instructions
- Lay out and grease an 8x8 serving dish with either cooking spray or butter.
- Mix together the sugar, milk, and salt in a large pot. Heat these ingredients to boiling over medium heat while stirring continuously.
- After 5-7 minutes, the white mixture will start to thicken and take on more of a slight yellow tint.
- To test the readiness of the mixture, add a small amount to a cup of cold water. If you are able to form a soft ball with your hand, the mixture is ready.
- Add the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla to the mixture. Keep stirring until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Quickly pour the fudge mixture into the greased 8x8 serving dish. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Once cooled, slice the fudge into pieces and enjoy!
Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Fudge
Peanut Butter Fudge Nutrition Facts
|Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 26 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 9 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Fudge History Quiz
view quiz statistics
Helpful Tips and Tricks for Making Delicious Fudge
After many years of making this peanut butter fudge recipe, my mother has perfected her fudge making technique. She has never used any kind of candy thermometer and doesn't even use the cold water test anymore. She simply uses her eyes and can tell exactly when the mixture is at the right consistency to make creamy and mouthwatering fudge. Here are a few helpful tips and tricks that my mom shared for making the perfect batch of peanut butter fudge:
- Stir continuously - When the instructions state stir continuously, do not walk away from the stove even for a second. A continuous stir prevents the mixture from burning and sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Watch the consistency - As soon as you notice the mixture thickening and starting to take on a slight yellowish tint, your mixture is ready. You can use the cold water test to assure it's readiness. Of course, if the whole pot has turned yellow in color, the mixture has cooked for too long and will most likely be hard as a rock once it sets.
- Fudge sets quickly - Before you start boiling the mixture, be sure to set out and grease your serving dish with either cooking spray or butter. Once you add the final ingredients into the mixture, pour out the mixture as quickly as possible into your dish. Fudge sets up so fast that you will not have time to prepare your dish once the mixture is done.
I hope the above step-by-step directions and helpful tips and tricks are helpful in creating a delicious batch of this old-fashioned peanut butter fudge. I guarantee that when these steps are closely followed, you will have created a creamy and yummy batch of homemade fudge for your family to enjoy. If you have any questions or comments about the recipe, feel free to leave these in the comment section below.