- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Old Fashion Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet potato pie memories
We all remember that lovely aroma of a freshly baked sweet potato pie. We helped in the kitchen to make it or we waited eagerly to taste it. That pie was always delicious and if we were too slow,we didn't get but one piece.
Sweet potato pie was usually made on holidays or special occasions. Way back in the day, neighbors and family would make sure they would drop by to say hello, just to get a slice of pie, there was always more than one pie made, luckily.
A youngster's thoughts would be " on no they are going eat up all of our pie". There was always one pie put aside for the family, well most of the time anyway. The smell of a home made sweet potato pie always put everyone in the household in a joyous mood with a big smile on their faces in anticipation of tasting that first slice of hot pie. Today you can buy a sweet potato pie already prepared, but you will miss that wonderful aroma given from your own fresh baked pie, which is very easy to make.
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams, boiled, peeled,mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup carnation milk
- 1/4 cup whole milk or 2%
- 1 Tbs nutmeg, ground
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 unbaked defrosted 9" pie shell
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Sweet Potato pie prepreation
- Boil unpeeled sweet potatoes or Yams until done, and peel
- Mash sweet potatoes until smooth
- Beat eggs and milk together, add to pie filling along with other spices. Beat until smooth.
- Add more milk if needed. Filling should be somewhat thick and not too loose.
- Pour filling into pie shell
- Bake for 45 min. to 1 hour. Use tip of knife to pierce filling, when the knife comes out clean your pie is ready
- Serve as is or top with ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy
Sweet potato pie choices
Do you like sweet potatoes made into a pie?
Home made pie
Sweet Potato pie and childhood.
When growing up and your family waited patiently for that pie to come out of the oven, you knew you had be on your best behavior and you had better eat all of your dinner if you expected to get a piece of that pie.
I think those were the times when your mom or dad did not have to tell you to eat all of your food or to behave at the dinner table. All you knew was, that you must have a piece of that pie.
Those were the sweet memories of childhood and family togetherness. We can still enjoy and remember those days by baking our own Sweet Potato Pie.
More on sweet potato pie
- Healthy Recipes: Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Pie Recipe - Sweet Potatoes Health Benefits
Sweet potatoes have many benefits such as preventing wrinkles on the face, and other benefits. Sweet potatoes is good for the health of diabetic patients.