- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Old-fashioned recipes using hardboiled eggs
This recipe is from the 1927 Butterick Book of Recipes and Household Helps, it's called Eggs a la Goldenrod. Back in the day, many people ate eggs regularly from their local farms. Eggs were considered wholesome and a good source of nutrition.
If you're looking for frugal ideas to use up hardboiled eggs, you've come to the right place! These recipes will give you some ideas of cooking meals from scratch that use hardboiled eggs. This is especially useful if you have too many leftover Easter eggs!
If you've found this recipe helpful, please leave me a comment. :)
The original recipes
- 6 hardboiled or hard-cooked eggs
- 2 cups thin white sauce, *see recipe for white sauce below
- 8 slices toast
- Separate the yolks from the whites of the eggs and chop the whites very fine.
- Add to the white sauce with salt, pepper, paprika.
- Arrange 6 slices of toast on a platter and pour over them the white sauce mixture.
- Press the egg yolks through a sieve and scatter over the top.
- Cut the two extra slices of toast into small triangles, or points, arrange on the platter and garnish with parsley.
Thin white sauce recipe
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon fat
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Melt the fat, add the flour and cook with constant stirring for 5 minutes. Add seasonings just before the sauce is served.