- Food and Cooking
Roast Vegetable and Olive Pasta Sauce
This recipe is a family weekday dinner favourite. The dish is full of flavour, colour and is easy to prepare in larger quantities for the whole family.
You have fresh vibrant flavours of roasted zucchini and mixed bell peppers with green olives in a sweet tomato sauce.
There are two main processes to making this recipe. The first is to roast the mixed vegetables in the oven and the second is to make the tomato sauce. In the end you mix both together.
- Mixed Bell Peppers (I use 1 Red and 1 Yellow)
- 1 Zucchini
- 5-6 mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp sun dried tomato puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 glass red wine (optional)
- 1 cup tinned tomatoes (puréed)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup green olives, finely chopped
- Fresh Basil, chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Chop up all the Vegetables into large peices (as pictures)
- Sprinkle with the herbs de provence, olive oil and mix well
- Roast in the oven for around 20-30 minutes turning once or twice
While the Vegetables are roasting, prepare the Sauce
- Sautee the onion in a little olive oil in a saucepan until soft (3 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook for a further (1 minute)
- Add the red wine , sun-dried and normal tomato puree and turn up the heat to reduce and burn off the alcohol
- Add the pureed tomatoes, vegetable stock, paprika, mixed herbs and sugar and stir well.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (stir occasionally)
- Taste and season with salt & pepper.
- Once the sauce is reduced and ready, add to it the roasted vegetables
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Add the chopped olives and fresh chopped basil leaves
- Stir and serve over your choice of pasta