- Food and Cooking
Onion and Potatoes Mixed Dumplings with Gram Flour Gravy
Hello, this is living with pulmonary hypertension since 2004 and I am making today onion and potato mixed dumplings. This is my family’s favorite dish and also very popular one in India also known as besan Kadhi or onion and potato mixed dumplings in gravy, made with chickpea flour/ gram flour. I always try to make different variety of kadhi by adding different ingredients each time. As you see, I added onion and potato in a gram flour batter. Traditionally, pakoras for the kadhi are made with plain gram flour batter, salt, turmeric and some spices.The gravy is a blend of curry powder, tamarind paste , besan (gram flour) and pakora, fritters or dumplings. You can serve the Kadhi with plain white rice.
- ½ spoon Tamarind, Paste
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt
- 3 Spoons Oil
- 3 Clove Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Green Chili, Chopped
- 5 spoon Gram Flour
- 8 Cups Water
- 1 Pinch Asafeitda
- 1/2 Spoon Mustard Seed
- 1/2 Spoon Turmeric
- 1 Spoon Curry powder
- 1 Tea spoon Salt or as needed
- 1/2 tea spoon Chili Powder
To Make Gravy and Dumplings
- Take 5 teaspoon of gram flour in big bowl. Make sure there are no lumps. Pour 2 cups of water slowly and mix well. Add turmeric powder and curry powder in the mixture
- Add 2-3 spoon oil in a saucepan. When the oil is ready, add 1 spoon mustard seeds. Cover the lid as mustard seeds gets all over the pan. After 2 minutes add chopped garlic and green chili. Stir for a few seconds. Cover the lid. Takes 3-4 minutes to cook or until turns brown
- Add gram flour mixture and stir few minutes. Let it cook uncovered. Keep stirring until the kadhi comes to a boil. Add 3 more cups of water and let it boil and turn the heat to medium low. Stir occasionally and let the kadhi cook for 30 minutes when the kadhi is cooked, add salt.
- To Make Onion and potato Pakora or Dumpling. Mix besan with about 1 cup of water and mix well until there is smooth.
- Whip the basen batter using a spoon in a circular motion for about 2-3 minutes. Batter becomes light and fluffy. Add salt, turmeric powder, cumin seed. Now add thinly chopped onions and potatoes. Mix well. Make sure the consistency of the batter is thick. If it’s runny, add more gram flower.
- Heat the oil in a flat pan. The oil should be about 1-2 inch deep. Drop one spoon of the batter in the oil and if the batter come up without changing the color immediately then oil is ready.
- Now drop about 1 tablespoon of batter at a time into the oil. Batter should not be covered with oil. This will allow the pakoras to expand. The pakoras will be softer if they are shallow fried. Fry the pakoras in small batches. Fry the pakoras until golden brow
- After the pakoras are fried, add the pakoras to the hot kadhi and let it boil on low-medium heat for approximately 10 minutes.
|Serving size: Per Bowl|
|Calories from Fat||450|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 50 g||77%|
|Carbohydrates 70 g||23%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 20 g||40%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Heat the ghee (clear butter) lightly in a small saucepan. Add chili powder and/or paprika (adjust to taste). Pour over the kadhi when ready to serve.
- Add 1 cup of chopped spinach to the kadhi just before adding the pakoras for extra flavor and gives good color.
- Adding the salt after the kadhi is cooked will prevent the yogurt from breaking. Tip: You can adjust the thickness of the kadhi to your liking by adding water.
- Try adding 1 tablespoon of dry fenugreek leaves (mathis) in the batter for the pakoras.
- How to Make Aloo ka Parantha and Eggplant Bhartha
Mouth watering and soft aloo ka paratha with baigan or eggplant bhartha. Simple to make and double in taste.
- How Easy and Simple is to Make Batura or Fried Bread...
Learn how to make Bhature from scratch. A great mouth watering dish, easy to make at home.
- What is Semolina or Sooji? Semolina, A Perfect Desse...
Creamy and delicious sooji ka halwa or semolina pudding, a sweet and simple dessert with a great traditional value. You must add this dessert in your diet.
- How to Cook Delicious Lunch and your own Tortilla at...
Pulmonary hypertension condition is not going to stop me for cooking lunch, steamed rice and home made tortilla. See how I manage it through cooking.
- Fat Free Cauliflower Burrito – Simple and Tasty
Try this fat free delicious cauliflower burrito,an easy to make and full of nutritious ingredients.
- Healthy Cabbage Recipe with Steamed Rice
Learn how to make healthy cabbage recipe. This is also a good way to help me out to release my stress of dealing pulmonary hypertension by cooking different recipes everyday. See how I do it.