- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
Organic Apple Pie and Tarts by G-Ma
My very own way
All the ingredients I use are organic, well except for the pie crust, I buy the ones that you just un-roll to use, these days seems you can hardly tell the difference. :O)
Small apple pies, enough for one or two, depending on how much you can eat. I buy the aluminum small pie tins at the grocery store that are made for Pot pies because they have clear tops .
1. Apples...around 15-20 medium, peeled, cored and sliced (you can use more or
less) placed in lemon water so they don't turn brown, then I just drain them in a
colander..........sometimes I do not peel, there is a lot of goodness in the peels.
2. Sugar....again this is up to you. If the apples are sweet enough I just add a 1/2 cup or so.
3. Cinnamon...if you like this...about a teaspoon, again your taste is what matters.
4. Butter.... about a Tablespoon, placed on top of each pile of apples once in the pie tin. No bottom crust, I just spray with an oil and dust with some sugar.
5. Pie crust....at room temperature roll the dough out, I cut into four pieces, then this is a bit tricky...you have to trim to fit your small pie tins.
Also you can cut strips and then lattice them across your pies. Looks good and also cuts down on the calories
6. Milk....I use milk to brush the top crust with and sprinkle on a bit more sugar on them...again totally up to you, but the milk gives them a very nice golden look.
7. Bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes, I place them on a cookie sheet to help make less work for me if they boil over...and they do :O)
I over fill my tins because they cook down quite a bit and I love apple pie...Now let them cool on a rack. Serve warm or cold, with or without Ice Cream, whipped cream and even some like cheese on top...
I hope you like this, it is easy, freezes well and doesn't seem to last long enough...:O) Hugs G-Ma
Oh dear I forgot the tarts...just fill the pie crust with apples, add butter and fold the edges in...bake till done...use your imagination on sugar, cinnamon and butter...also put beaten egg or milk on the edges so they are golden brown...