- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Original Hakka Style Chili Chicken Recipe
Hakka cuisine is a fusion of Chinese and Indian cooking. It has been developed by a small community of Chinese people that have lived in Kolkata for over a century. One of their most popular dishes is chili chicken and for those of you who have not tried it before, it is really spicy but full of flavor.
Here is what you'll need
6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinned
2 large onions, fairly thick slices
1 green bell pepper, cubed
6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp ginger, minced
3 spring onions, chopped
5 green chilies, chopped
1/2 tbsp chili powder, optional
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
2 tbsp corn starch
1. Cut up chicken into bite-sized chunks, season with salt and pepper and coat with corn starch. Let the chicken sit for at least 30 minutes then fry the chicken until they have a nice yellowish coat around them, do not overcook the chicken. Once the chicken is all done, set aside.
2. You then want to fry the onions until they are soft and caramelized.
3. Add ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes, add the cumin and coriander, stir for another 30 seconds or so. Push up on the sides of the wok.
4. Add the chicken back at this point and give it all a good mix in the wok.
5. Add green chilies, green onion and green peppers. Stir for about 2 minutes.
6. In a bowl, blend water, sugar, cornstarch and soy sauce. Toss into the centre of the wok. Once the sauce has thickened remove from heat. Let it stand for a couple of minutes.
7. Serve with steamed rice, fried rice and steamed or stir-fried vegetables.