- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Our Family Favorite Macaroni Soup
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Carbohydrates 29 g||10%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Sodium 150 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Tonight, it is a bit cold outside because our country is expecting a storm, in fact a super typhoon. I do pray that God would spare our fellow countrymen who are directly hit by this super typhoon. For us in another part of the country who are not that affected, we are blessed to have this hot soup which is really perfect for times such as this.
So, we had one of those nights when we just had our family favorite Macaroni Soup for dinner. It has chicken (protein), pasta (carbohydrates) and vegetables (vitamins and minerals) in it. So, it's really a complete meal. If you're on a diet, this is a good meal to have as well. As they say, eat light at night and be sure to go to bed at least 4 hours after eating your meal.
My little kids does not just love to eat this. They also like to help prepare this and they did so tonight. I don't know why but they seem particularly happy. Probably because their cousin is here and she's helping, too. They even cheerfully counted together while they were waiting for the soup to boil.
They just can't wait to eat as soon as it was done. They've been asking "Can I taste?" And before you know it, they've tasted it so many times.
Soups are more delicious when you eat them a little hot and so we immediately had to dig in.
Oops! This Macaroni Soup is almost gone and I totally forgot to take a picture of it. Good thing there's still one small bowl of soup left. I better take a shot first before somebody eats it.
Great! So, now, let me share with you how this soup is prepared.
Preparing this soup is actually not that difficult. It basically entails sauteing and boiling or simmering the different ingredients.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Yields: Serves 6-8 people
- 1 pack (400 g) macaroni, elbow or salad
- 250 g chicken, chopped into small pieces
- 3-5 pieces hotdog, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece onion, chopped
- 1 piece carrot, sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 6-8 cups water
- 1 can (300 ml) evaporated milk
- 1 piece chicken broth cube
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare all the ingredients. Cut the chicken into small pieces. Cut the hotdog into bite-size pieces. Wash all the vegetables before peeling or cutting. Crush and chop the garlic. Peel the onion and chop them. Peel and slice the carrots. You can be fancy with this by having it julienne or flowerette cut. Slice the cabbage into small pieces. If you're in a hurry, any cut will do.
- Heat your saucepan using medium heat. Put the oil and saute the garlic then the onion.
- When the garlic has browned little and the onion wilted, add the chicken pieces and a little salt then cover until cooked through.
- Put in the sliced hotdog, stir and let it cook for a minute.
- Now add the chopped carrots (or any other vegetables you like) and cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Add 2 liters of water, the chicken broth cube and the macaroni. Let them boil then simmer until the pasta is cooked. The pasta is already cooked when it becomes white colored.
- Add the cabbage then quickly just cook them for a minute or two.
- Lastly, put in the evaporated milk and stir. You can add a little salt and pepper to taste. At this point, the fire can be turned off as you don't want the milk to boil or it may curdle.
- Serve the soup while hot. Perfect to go with toasted garlic bread.
- Note: You can add other vegetables you want. Sometimes, I add potato and broccoli. Green beans, cauliflower and corn may also be good. You can pretty much add or subtract from the list of ingredients like for example remove the hotdog and use ham instead. I know some who doesn't like to add milk to this soup but my kids and I like it with milk because that is what makes the soup creamy.