- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Oven Baked Fried Chicken Recipe
I have been making this version of Oven Baked Fried Chicken for almost 30 years. It is a hand-me-down recipe from my mother-in-law. She always made the best oven chicken that I can remember.
I continue to use this same simple recipe for family dinners and also as a special treat for dinner guests. My husband has claimed for many years that this is his favorite chicken dish. My 9 year old granddaughter visited a few weeks ago and ate an entire chicken leg quarter!
Give it a try. This recipe is pure southern comfort!
- 4 Chicken Leg Quarters, Thawed
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Oven Baked Fried Chicken 101
What is Your Favorite Chicken Dish?
How to Make Oven Baked Fried Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thaw chicken let quarters.
- Remove excess fat from each leg quarter but leave skin intact.
- Mix flour and spices together well in a pie plate.
- Spread 1 tsp of sunflower or vegetable oil on the bottom a large baking pan to prevent chicken from sticking.
- Dredge each chicken leg quarter in flour mixture until entirely covered. Shake off excess flour.
- Place chicken on baking sheet with skin side up.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. At 40 minutes, remove chicken from oven and baste any floured areas that have not yet cooked.
- Return to oven for another 20 minutes or up to 50 minutes depending on how well done you like your chicken.
- Remove from oven and serve with salad and baked potato.
Cook Oven Baked Fried Chicken With Skin Left On
Leaving the skin on the chicken is very important in this recipe. But, it is just as important to remove any excess fat. Once dredged in the flour mixture, the skin of the chicken provides the fat needed to fry it in the oven. The skin will cook down to a really thin crispy outer shell. It is delicious to eat and is something my kids fight over!
Use a large oblong baking sheet or pan with at least 1 inch sides. Oven Fried Baked Chicken will accumulate some drippings in the pan that are needed for basting midway through cooking.
Choose a Large Baking Pan with Sides for Baking Chicken
This recipe doesn't require much. 10 minutes to prepare it, and then bake. Choosing the right baking pan is important, though. If the chicken legs are too close together, the chicken will not brown as well and you may have some portions of the skin that do not get crispy because they were touching other pieces.
I like to use a sheet cake pan for my oven chicken. This pan is large enough that I can easily place from 4 chicken leg quarters on it with no worries of them crowding each other.
Use a Pie Plate for Dredging Chicken Leg Quarters
Use a 9 inch pie plate for mixing flour and spices and dredging chicken before baking. The gently sloping sides of the pie plate catch flour that drifts when you are dredging the chicken and helps keep your kitchen tidy.
Dredge Chicken Leg Quarters in Flour and Spices
Coat the chicken well in flour mixture. Place each piece with the skin side up on your baking sheet. Bake for at least 1 hour and up to 1 1/2 hours for really crispy and tender chicken.