Weekend Special—Delicious Oven Fresh, Pure Vegetarian, Baked Veggies With Cheese Topping.
1. Cooking and baking are both physical and mental therapy.
2. If baking is any labor at all, it’s a labor of love. A love that gets passed from generation to generation.
— Regina Brett
Delicious baked vegetables, with cheese toppings
Cooking for the family, is an expression of love for them. I have always found cooking to be therapeutic. Cooking for your loved ones, doubles the pleasure, when you see their happy and excited faces, at the dining table. Remember to be precise and patient while cooking, and do not forget to mix your immense love in your recipes, to make them incredibly delicious.
Weekends are special, because everyone enjoys the short break, from their busy schedules. Therefore, I love to make the weekends more special by making some delicious food or the family favourite dishes.
My children are health and fitness conscious and thus I need to prepare something, which is light, healthy and nutritious but not too fattening.
Sharing one such recipe here, which is healthy, nutritious and easy to make. This can be enjoyed with sandwiches or noodles or fried rice or pizza or Naans. It’s completely your preference, how you want to enjoy it. But the baked veggies taste best, fresh and hot, straight out of the oven.
Please rate my recipe: Baked Veggies in White Sauce, With Cheese Toppings
Food, to me, is always about eating with those you love and care for.
Preparation Time, Cooking and Baking Time
A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring soul to your recipe.
Ingredients for Baked Veggies With Cheese Toppings
- 1 Tea cup Cauliflower or Broccoli, Cleaned, Cut and Boiled
- 1 Tea cup Button Mushrooms, Cleaned and finely cut
- 1 Tea cup Sweet Corn kernel or green peas, Cleaned
- 1 Tea cup Green Capsicum, Cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 Tea cup Carrots, Cleaned and finely cut into cubes
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger, Cleaned and grated
- 1 Tablespoon Onion, Cleaned and cut lengthwise
- 1 Tablespoon Corn flour
- Half Teaspoon Salt
- One fourth Teaspoon Black Pepper Powdered
- One Large Cup Low fat Milk
- 1 Teasppon Butter
- 4 Slices or 4 Cubes Cheese
Instructions, for Baked Vegetables With Cheese Toppings
- Assemble all the above mentioned ingredients. The vegetable choices may vary, according to the availability at your place. Seasonal vegetables, such as green peas, French beans, cabbage and others can be added.
- Clean, cut, boil and sieve the vegetables, such as the cauliflower, carrots, corn etc. No need to boil the capsicums and mushrooms.
- To prepare the White sauce, add butter to a hot pan. Then add milk and corn flour mixture. Stir continuously, so that the lumps do not form. It will take about 2 to 3 minutes, to thicken the sauce. Keep the heat from low to medium, but not high. Add salt and pepper.
- Take an oven proof bowl. Mix all the ingredients along with the white sauce. Cover with cheese slices or grated cheese cubes. Place in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius (392 degree Fahrenheit), for 20 to 30 minutes. Adjust the temperature according to your oven. Keep checking the dish in between. The cheese on top should melt and should resemble golden brown colour. Take it out and enjoy when it is still hot.
Some Tips and Suggestions:
- Always use fresh vegetables for baked veggies recipe. Frozen vegetables may release too much moisture, if baked on high temperature. As such, the results may not be as delicious as mentinned above.
- While making the white sauce, mix the corn flour in cold milk thoroughly, so that there are no lumps. While cooking the white sauce, continuous stirring is required, till it thickens, otherwise the sauce will stick to the pan, or may even get burnt.
- Baking ovens or microwave temperature settings, may be different. Please choose the temperature settings accordingly.
- Some vegetables may not be available at your location. You can always opt for alternative choices.
- In this recipe, I have used Borosil glassware, oven proof bowl, for baking here. Because I like to see through, when the dish is being baked. Makes it easy to check the baking process. Any other oven proof cookware can be used as well.
- If you find the consistency of the white sauce too thick, you may add more milk to make it free flowing or as you may prefer.
Baked vegetables in white sauce, Source: YouTube
Baked vegetables in Microwave, Source: YouTube
© 2018 Chitrangada Sharan