MORE PERUVIAN RECIPES- Papa(Potato)
Recipes for Papas a la Huancaina & Papa Rellena
This is part 2 of an article on Peruvian Recipes. My husband is from Lima, Peru and Papas a la Huancaina ( Peruvian Potato Salad) & Papa Rellena( stuffed potato) are two of the delicious dishes that he cooks for me as well as teaches me to make. I hope you try them and enjoy!
A link to Part one of Peruvian Recipes:
- Peruvian Recipes-Part 1
First article on Peruvian recipes for Lomo Saltado & Ceviche
Papas a la Huancaina
Papas a la Huancaina/ Potatoes with Peruvian cheese sauce
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 5 ajies Amarillos (yellow peppers)- we use Aji Amarillo Paste to taste
- 4 saltine crackers or more for thickness
- ½ pound of fresh white cheese( my husband likes Feta, but you can use cottage cheese or cream cheese- choose your favorite white cheese))
- 1 Cup evaporated milk
- Juice of ½ lime
- Vegetable oil
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- Pinch of sugar
- ½ tablespoon of Tumeric
- 6 boiled potatoes
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- 6 green or black olives per plate
- 6 lettuce leafs
- Boil potatoes with skins on, then peel.
- Seed, de-vien, and chop aji Amarillo or use paste.
- In a blender put the aji Amarillo, onions, garlic, crackers, two hard-boiled eggs, fresh white cheese, tumeric, sugar, evaporated milk.
- Blend together, adding enough vegetable oil to give the mixture a smooth creamy consistency.
- Add the juice of lime and blend a few seconds more.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste, adding more salt if necessary.
- Refrigerate or serve at room temperature.
Place lettuce leaves on each plate. Slice the cooled potatoes on the plate and cover with the sauce. Garnish with olives, half a hardboiled egg and sprinkle with parsley.
Video-Step by step for Papa Rellena Recipe
Papa Rellena Recipe or Stuffed Potato
- 4 c Mashed Potatoes
- 1 c Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 lb Hamburger
- 1 c Onion, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 boiled Eggs, chopped
- Black Olives
- Optional: Raisins, chopped tomatoes or anything you might like
- Mix together potato, flour, and egg. Be sure it's cool.
- Mix hamburger with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, egg, and olive.
- The hamburger and onions should be fried with the spices before you add the other ingredients.
- Heat 4" of oil in frying pan.
- Flour the palm of your hand and put in it a heaping Tbsp. of the potato mixture.
- With a spoon, scoop out a hole in the center.
- Place a Tbsp. of meat mixture in the center, and with well-floured hands, fold top of potato over to completely close it up.
- Gently roll it in your floured hands and lower in the very hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown.
Need a Peruvian Dessert Recipe?
- Peruvian Dessert Recipes
Peruvian recipes for "Arroz con Leche" & "Leche Asada"