- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Gluten-Free Chunky Monkey Muffins
Chunky Monkey Muffins
Sometimes you need a banana muffin with a kick--a little something that makes it different from the usual. These gluten-free chunky monkey muffins (chocolate chips and bananas . . . get it?) will fit the bill for breakfast or a healthy dessert.
I don't like to make things complicated, so this recipe is simple. You should be able to find most ingredients in your local supermarket. Coconut flour is easy to find in health food stores or online.
You Can Make Your Own Almond Flour!
Making Your Own Almond Flour is Easy
I use almond flour a lot, and buying it already prepared can get pricey. I use a simple, inexpensive coffee grinder specifically for almond grinding.
Sliced or slivered almonds are the easiest to grind, but whole almonds can be used as well. It only takes a few seconds.
You will have a few little chunks left over, as you can see in the photo. I leave these in because I like having little almond pieces. If you don't want them in there, you can strain them out using a sieve or strainer.
This is How Long it Takes:
Organic Coconut Flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 mashed bananas, medium
- 1/4 cup chocolate pieces or chips, dark
Chocolate Chips: Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
In place of chocolate chips, I chop up four squares of a Lindt 90 percent chocolate bar. At only 7.5 grams per bar, they are very low in sugar. They are also free of soy lecithin and other undesirables.
But you may use chocolate chips instead. If you need certified gluten free, try Enjoy Life chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs, vinegar, coconut oil, and honey.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, whisking together well.
- Fold in the mashed banana, then the chocolate.
- Spoon into lined muffin tin. Fill almost to the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is springy or a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Paleo Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
More Tasty Gluten Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Banana Muffins: A Simple, Paleo-Friendly Recipe
This gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly banana muffin recipe is easy to whip up on the fly. Using coconut flour, coconut oil, and sweetened with raw honey, these banana muffins are light, moist, and fluffy.
- Fluffy Gluten-Free Pancakes
Do you miss the fluffy pancakes you used to enjoy before you went gluten free? Try this recipe that uses coconut and almond flours to make tasty gluten-free, dairy-free pancakes.