- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Stir-Fried Asian Noodles Recipe - Pancit
What is Pancit
Our interest in eating pancit rooted from the Chinese. Many people especially historians believe that we are influenced by them when they visited our country long time ago. In fact, pancit Canton itself is derived from a city name there in China. Pancit came from a Chinese word pian i sit, which means “something conveniently cooked fast”.
So, what is Pancit? Today, pancit is a tasty Filipino noodle dish served especially during feasts and gatherings or even during ordinary meals. One of its famous varieties is pancit bihon. And it believed that a person should eat it during his/ her birthday to prolong his lifespan. Calamansi is famously sprinkled to it to add ticklish flavor.
Pancit Recipe Rating
- ½ pound pork, sliced
- ½ pound rice-stick noodles/ pancit bihon
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 piece onion, sliced
- 1 piece carrot, cut into sticks, 2 inches long
- 1 piece bell pepper, cut into 2 inches long
- 2 pieces garlic, minced
- 1 cup cabbage leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- fish sauce
- soy sauce
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- Pork Menudo
Menudo - one of the most famous dish in the Philippines which is derived from a Spanish soup.
- Sinampalukang Manok
Sinampalukang manok - a famous Filipino sour stew dish which is usually made of the combination of chicken meat, tamarind seeds and some selected vegetables such as water spinach/ kangkong, eggplant and other vegetables.
- Pork Sinigang
Sinigang - is Philippines’ signature soup dish famous for its sour flavour. You can use Pork, Beef and Fish to make Sinigang. But pork is more popular in the Philippines.
- Place the rice-stick noodles/ pancit bihon into a bowl filled with water.
- When the noodles is soft enough, strain and set aside.
- Pour some cooking oil into a frying pan. Set the fire into medium heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, sauté the garlic and onion.
- Fry the pork until it turns brown all over and no pink sides.
- Season fish sauce, soy sauce, pepper, and salt according to your taste.
- Add the vegetables such as the carrots and bell pepper. Stir continuously.
- Add water and adjust the taste. Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Pour the noodles that you set aside earlier and simmer.
- Stir continuously again to mix together the ingredients.
- Put the cabbage leaves into the pan. But be sure not to overcook it.
- Mix all the ingredients and turn off the heat.
- It’s ready to serve!