Parmesan Crumb Topping with Mushrooms and Pasta
Pasta & Bread Crumbs
The pasta is a great ingredient to add that will help to absorb some of the liquid from the mushrooms.
Calling all mushroom lovers, calling all mushroom lovers!! For all of the mushroom lovers out there I have found the perfect recipe for us. This mushroom recipe contains two unique tasting types of mushrooms. I would suggest that you really love all different types of mushrooms as these two varieties have been described as having a real wood flavor.
I personally love mushrooms and the tastier the better. This recipe combines two of my favorites, mushrooms and pasta. Then, the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese add additional flavor and crunch.
This particular recipe is one that can be served as an appetizer, a side dish, or, a main dish.
Please know that mushrooms can make you very sick. You will want to make sure that the mushrooms are safe to eat. I know this man who thought that he could just pick some mushrooms from the back yard. They almost killed him so, you will want to be careful.
Sometimes mushrooms are somewhat of an acquired taste. There are some that have very little taste those are button mushrooms. These are often found in salads and used on pizzas. Portabella mushrooms have a unique flavor, you just have to try to see if you like it. The first time I tried a Portabella mushroom was on a Portabella mushroom sandwich. I have to admit at first, I really didn't like it but, as I got into my meal a little farther, I really started to realize then, how much flavor these mushrooms really do have.
Finely Chopped Onions
Some additional flavors that you might taste throughout this recipe are flat leaf parsley, garlic cloves, oregano, finely chopped onion. These are additional ingredients that are in this recipe that add amazing flavor to this recipe.
You can always leave the onions out of the recipe, if there's someone in your family that doesn't really like onions. I personally like cooked onions but, am not a big fan of raw onions. if possible, I always like to cook my onions before I add them to a particular recipe.
The sharpness and the flavor of this recipe comes from the flavorful mushrooms. The pasta helps to absorb the water and the flavor of the mushrooms.
Please feel free to share any sauce recipes or family traditions that you may have by leaving your comments at the bottom of this hub.
Mushroom Rigatoni Pasta with Parmesan
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1/4 oz. (about 1/4 cup) porcini mushrooms, dried
- 1/2 cup water, boiling
- 2 3/4 cups bread crumbs, coarse, fresh (from an Italian French loaf)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely, chopped
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, finely, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- enough to taste black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup Parmesan-Reggiano (about 3oz), finely grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4lbs. cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried, crumbled
- to taste salt
- 1 cup chicken stock, (store bought-reduced sodium-chicken)
- 1/2lb. short spiral pasta or small bell shaped pasta
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 792 mg||33%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- In the oven put the rack in the center most part of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9" or another 3 quart glass or ceramic dish.
- Soak the pasta in boiling water in a bowl until softened about 20 minutes.
- Spread out the bread crumbs on a baking sheet and bake the crumbs, stirring occasionally, until they look golden, about 6 minutes. Let the bread crumbs cool completely on the pan that they were baked on. Cook the pan on a rack. (Leave the oven on).
- Toss the toasted crumbs with 1/2 garlic, parsley, olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Remove the porcini mushrooms out of the soaking liquid, squeezing the excess liquid back into the bowl. Rinse to remove any grit from the mushrooms.
- Pour the liquid through a strainer and save the strained water for later. Finely chop the porcini mushrooms.
- Heat the butter and extra virgin olive oil in a 12" heavy skillet over moderately high heat until the foam subsides.
- Add the onion and remaining garlic and cook, stirring until onion is golden about 8 minutes. Then you add the cremini mushrooms, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid from the mushrooms is evaporated and mushrooms are browned about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped porcini, reserved soaking liquid, and stock, bring to a simmer and simmer for one minute.
- Meanwhile, you can be cooking the pasta in an 8 quart pot of boiling, salted, water (3 tablespoons salt), until the pasta is al dente`. Drain and transfer the pasta to a baking dish.
- Stir in the mushroom mixture and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Then sprinkle the bread crumb topping evenly over the pasta and bake uncovered until the crumbs are golden. This should be about 15-20 minutes.
A Cook's Note
Just a little side note:
This particular casserole can be made up to 1 day ahead of time. Cool, uncovered, and refrigerate, covered. Bring to room temperature and then you can reheat the casserole covered in a 350 oven.
Which is Your Favorite?
Which Italian dish do you like the best?
There's all kinds of different pasta that can be used in this recipe. The recipe itself calls for bell shape pasta. I think that any kind of pasta would be fine for this dish. As the recipe reads, you just want a pasta that will kind of absorb the liquid and the taste of the mushrooms.
Parmesan Bread Crumbs
You can't go wrong with garlic bread. I love the kind in the frozen section that's the Texas toast garlic bread. You can always add oregano, parsley, and any other different spices you like on your bread.
Different Types of Mushrooms & Serving Suggestions
Great Flavor Combos
Always a great combination of flavors is parsley flakes, pasta, oregano, onions and olive oil. You can't go wrong with this combination of spices.
Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
Kitchen Cookware on Amazon
Food and Recipe Hubs
- How To Start and Manage a Vegetable Garden
Starting a garden takes a little hard work but it's well worth it in the end. A tiller should be used before planting seeds. Pictures and videos help illustrate how to grow veggies from seed to food.
- Five Fruits For Healthier Living
This article focuses on several fruits including bananas and apples and their nutritional value. Pictures, videos and commentary are listed in this hub along with other facts and information.
- The Original Toll House Cookie Story
- New Orleans Chicken Bake
In our household, we love chicken. We love it fixed all different ways. If you are looking for a new chicken recipe, try this recipe! Instructions, pictures and commentary are found in this hub.
- Domino's Pizza Menu Review
Domino's serves pizza, wings, cheesy bread, sandwiches, desserts and pasta. Their menu is reviewed along with pictures, you tube videos, a poll and commentary. They offer delivery and carry out.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
© 2014 Buster Johnson