- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Paula Deen Chicken Pot Pie – Lady and Son Recipe
When it comes to chicken pot pie recipes only one stands out as the best. The Lady and Son’s Paula Deen chicken pot pie recipe is delicious, hearty and a delight to behold. Her southern cooking style is plainly evident in this dish. This is one those “must have” recipes in your collection.
- 2 sheets pastry puff
- 1 egg, (beaten)
- 2 chicken breasts, (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour, (all-purpose)
- 1 quart heavy cream, (can use milk)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic, (minced)
- 1/2 onion, (minced)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup carrots, (cooked)
- Pinch nutmeg, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each sheet of frozen puff pastry into 1-inch strips, 8 inches long. On a large cookie sheet, weave strips into a lattice large enough to cover each pot pie. Brush beaten egg onto each lattice square. Bake for 5 minutes, or until dough has turned light golden brown. Set aside until ready to assemble pies. Leave oven on at 350 degrees.
- Season chicken with seasoned salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through. Remove from heat and cut into chunks.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and then slowly add flour, stirring until it thickens. Slowly add cream and keep stirring.
- Add chicken base, garlic, and onion. Stir with wooden spoon until mixed well.
- Add peas, carrots and cooked chicken. Add nutmeg, if using.
- Fill 4 oven-proof bowls with chicken mixture. Top each bowl with a pre-cooked lattice square. Bake for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
The instructions are hard to explain. This video from Food.com explains it well.
Note: FoodNetwork.com does not release all their videos to YouTube.
Warning: This is Advanced Cooking
The recipe is rated as "Easy" on Paula's website. However, as someone who tried making this dish, I must warn you this is not an easy recipe. This recipe will test your timing skills. This recipe will mess up your kitchen. This recipe will exercise your collection of pots, pans and kitchen utensils. Is it worth it? I say yes.
"Hands down...Best Chicken Pot Pie I have eaten."
Paula Deen Chicken Pot Pie Alternatives
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Video
Chef ManCave Tribute to Paula Deen Recipes
As I was browsing the Internet for interesting recipes, I ran across several Paula Deen recipes. After trying one of the recipes, I decided to do a Paula Deen tribute in my kitchen. The first thing I did was buy butter…a lot of butter. I chose 20 Paula Deen recipes ranging from main dishes to appetizers to desserts. Then I bought some more butter. The Paula Deen chicken pot pie is #3 on my list. Take a look at my results. Leave a comment.
© 2013 Robert Loescher