- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Peach Frozen Yogurt
Here in New Hampshire, the peaches are beginning to fill the baskets at the local farm stands. Late summer fruits are some of my very favorites and peaches rank right up there at the top. Over the years I have baked them, canned them, turned them into chutney and jam and I have even juiced them for cocktails.
What I wanted to make on this day was one of the simplest desserts there is. Frozen yogurt.
If the peaches you have purchased are not ripe, simply place them in a brown paper bag and tightly seal. Leave them on your kitchen counter overnight and check them in the morning. If the peaches are still not ripe, leave them for the afternoon. Continue to check on them, however, because when they have ripened they will begin to spoil quickly.
- 4 large ripe peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- scant 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Peel the peaches, remove the pit.
- Cut peaches into chunks and toss them into a saucepan, along with the water and sugar. Cook over medium heat, covered, until soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Puree the cooked peaches and any liquid (although there should not be much) in a blender with yogurt, heavy cream, vanilla and lemon juice. *a food processor could also be used, but a blender is very convenient for this recipe.
- Chill the mixture in a covered container over night, then freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. *I made mine in a Cuisinart machine and allowed it to mix for about 15 minutes before placing it in the freezer to firm up.
If you enjoy chunks of fruit in your frozen yogurt, keep a 1/4 cup of the chopped peaches aside and add them to the blended ingredients.
How to Use an Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker
The peaches that I used for this recipe were so juicy and smelled unbelievable. I couldn't wait to eat the frozen yogurt so I added a spoonful to my breakfast yogurt -Delicious.