- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
With summer upon us graduations, pot lucks, picnics, barbecues, and family gatherings are in full swing. With every new summer I like to create new desserts or tweak ones that I have found. Classic desserts are great, however I found that tweaks can be just the thing for a new and perfect summer dessert.
If you are like me, and are looking for a new dessert recipe to try out this summer this peanut butter cake and icing will be one of the most moist cakes you have ever had.
Peanut butter lovers will continue to come back to this melt in your mouth peanut butter cake. This recipe is super easy and simple to make, created from a simple yellow cake mix it could not be easier.
Total cook and prep time may vary depending on your oven or stove or how fast you can prep your ingredients.
*Note: The total time does not include the time it takes the icing and cake to cool.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Cake:
- 1 Box Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Applesauce
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 1Tsp. Vanilla
Nutrition Facts for Jiffy Peanut Butter:
|Serving size: 2 Tbsp|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
*Warning: Do not follow the instructions on the back of the cake mix box or your cake will not turn out. You will end up with a liquid mess and something that is basically inedible and won't cook right.
Instructions for Peanut Butter Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray the bottom of the cake pan with non-stick cooking spray (You could also use shortening and a flour dusting).
- Mix yellow cake mix, water, applesauce, vanilla, peanut butter, and egg in a large bowl until moistened.
- Bake for 34-38 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool cake completely before frosting.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Icing:
- 5Tbsp. Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1Tsp. Vanilla
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
Preparing Peanut Butter Icing:
- In a small sauce pan whisk together flour and milk and stir constantly until it thickens (You will want it to be very thick almost like brownie batter).
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, add in vanilla.
- While this is cooling cream peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add completely cooled flour/milk/vanilla mixture to the creamed peanut butter/sugar and beat it until it is completely combined (If it looks separated you didn't beat it enough).
- Frost on cooled cake.
If you wish, this cake can be topped with crushed nuts or even a brown sugar/flour streusel. The cake pictured has neither of these two extras, however I have made it with both of these extras together and it tastes just as good with or without them.
The moist melt in your mouth peanut butter cake topped with a thick and rich peanut butter icing is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Do not be surprised if you have nothing to take home, it always seems to disappear at the functions I take it too.