- Food and Cooking»
- Beverage Recipes
Peanut Butter Smoothie Recipe
Doesn't my protein smoothie look lovely? My regular breakfast usually comes on a plate along with a nice cup of freshly brewed tea, but occasionally my schedule just doesn't allow such luxury. On certain hectic days, I don't even have time to spread Skippy on my toast, let alone frying eggs or finishing a whole bowl of oatmeal. So a quick breakfast in a glass seems to be a smart alternative. This peanut-buttery goodness is one of my favorite breakfast smoothies. It provides a boost of protein the body needs, and contains more fiber and vitamins than its close cousin, the peanut butter milkshake. What about the taste? It is divine! How could you go wrong with chocolate, banana, peanut butter and vanilla yogurt? If you're a peanut butter lover, this is absolutely a must-try.
Please Rate This Protein Smoothie Recipe
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1 medium banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 oz fat-free vanilla yogurt, with no added sugar
- 1 tbsp light chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- pinch of cocoa powder, (optional)
How to Make Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth!
- Pour into a glass, garnish with cocoa powder and a slice of banana. Enjoy!
Let's See How Nutritious This Peanut Butter Smoothie Is
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||216|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 24 g||37%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 70 g||23%|
|Sugar 34 g|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 20 g||40%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Plus Points of This Peanut Butter Smoothie Recipe
- It's a high-protein smoothie! Peanut butter and yogurt are great sources of protein.
- Peanut butter usually contains quite a bit of fat, but in this recipe I use a low-fat version. Plus, the yogurt is also fat-free. So the overall fat content in this peanut butter smoothie is not too high at all.
- Banana provides dietery fiber and several nutrients, such as potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, folate and calcium.
- It's very easy to digest and can be an ideal breakfast for those who don't have time or a big enough appetite for a sit-down meal in the morning.
Peanut Butter Smoothie for Diabetics
If you have diabetes or would like to limit your sugar intake, here are some great ways to tweak this peanut butter smoothie recipe.
- Use all-natural, unsweetened peanut butter.
- Opt for sugar-free chocolate syrup or forgo it completely.
- A tablespoon of ground uncooked oats will be a healthy addition to this peanut butter smoothie, as it contains a great amount of fiber and consequently helps regulate sugar absorption into the bloodstream.
Peanut Butter Smoothie for Gluten-Free Dieters
Most brands (probably about 99%) of peanut butter are gluten-free. I have never seen peanut butter with gluten ingredients myself but have heard that such a product does exist, therefore label checking is a smart habit to adopt. Another ingredient you have to be careful about is the chocolate syrup. Always check the label and see if it contains gluten ingredients, such as modified food starch or dextrine.
To learn more about gluten-free ingredients and how to shop on the cheap, visit Gluten-Free Shopping Tips.
And here's another peanut-buttery recipe for gluten-free dieters: Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies.
Peanut Butter Smoothie For Vegans
It's super easy to make this smoothie vegan-friendly. Just substitute soy yogurt for regular yogurt. Most brands of chocolate syrup are vegan even though they don't carry a vegan label. However, there are certain brands that do contain some dairy products. To make sure the one you're using is really vegan, always check the ingredient label. As for peanut butter, it is made of roasted peanuts, vegetable oil, salt and sugar. So it is inherently vegan.
Looking for a heavier vegan breakfast? Here you go: Vegan Scrambled Eggs!