Penne Alla Vodka
- 1 LB Penne Pasta
- 3 T Butter
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Pressed
- 2 oz Prosciutto, Thinly sliced and chopped
- 1 35oz C Peeled Tomatoes, Chopped in food processor
- 1/2 t Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 C Vodka
- 1/2 C Heavy Cream
- 1/2 C Grated Parmesan
- 3 Shallots, Chopped
- In a skillet large enough to hold the cooked pasta, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and prosciutto and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes
- Stir in cream and vodka. Cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and salt. Cook until tender (roughly 12 minutes)
- Drain pasta, saving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the tomato mixture and toss until well coated. Add a little of the reserved cooking water if needed. Add the parmesan cheese and toss before serving.
Extras and substitutions
When making this recipe, I have often substituted Pancetta for Prosciutto in the event I had none on hand.
You can also add 8oz of tomato sauce if you prefer a creamer pasta sauce.