- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Perfect Coffee Cake: Raspberry White Chocolate Crumble Recipe
Raspberry, white chocolate and sugar crumble. What more could you want? This classic coffe-time cake is one of the easiest cakes to pull together. The tart fruit, the creamy sweetness and the delicate crunch offer a satisfaction that hits the deepest depths of gustatory desire. Cross my heart. The only problem you'll have with this versatile cake is deciding which coffee you want to accompany it.
Bitter tones might be a great offset to the crumble and white chocolate. Alternatively a delicious homemade cappuccino might harmonize well with the velvety flavors. My suggestion: try your hand at baking the cake, then move from slice to slice, each accompanied by a different coffee. What type of coffee do you think will best complement this chocolate-filled raspberry cake?
This cake is adapted from Café Fernando, a popular food blog, that offers tons in the way of coffee-worthy cakes. Though Café Fernando's blog mentions nothing about white chocolate, everyone knows that white chocolate and raspberry are a natural pair—so get crazy and chuck 'em in. Also the original recipe calls for buttermilk, but it tastes great (maybe a little less dense) with plain milk. If you want to get creative try a mixture of sour cream (1/2c) and milk (1/2c).
1/2 c flour
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 c butter
2 c raspberries
2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
grated zest of half a lemon
1/2 c butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 c buttermilk or milk
1/2 c white chocolate drops or crushed chocolate
- Combine the ingredients for the crumb. Mix until it turns into a crumbly texture. But be careful not to over mix or else you'll end up with some kind of doughy mixture.
- Place crumb mixture in fridge, so butter doesn't melt.
- Cream zest, sugar, and butter together until smooth.
- Add one egg at a time, taking care to mix thoroughly.
- Mix in vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Be sure to mix evenly.
- To the butter mixture, integrate dry mixture and milk alternating.
- After batter is mixed thoroughly, fold in the raspberries and white chocolate.
- Transfer batter into baking tin. Sprinkle crumble all over the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes at 350 F.
This cake is absolutely irresistible. If you want a balanced feeling coffee break, try this cake with a bitter light roasted coffee. Green Mountain Coffee Breakfast Blend is a great coffee that offers fine caramelized notes and acidity. The lightness of this cup will give your coffee break a Zen-like sense harmony. On the other hand if you have the hankering for a more decadent coffee break, bring out the cappuccinos. Don't flinch. It's not that hard to get the cappuccinos going at home. Simply froth some milk in a saucepan. Add it to your shot of bold, deep-roasted coffee. For frills, dust some cinnamon and nutmeg over the top of that bubbly milk. To cut some time in coffee prep, invest in a one-cup brewer, like a Keurig brewer, which offer you tailor-made coffee at the press of a button.