- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Perfect, Crispy, Oven Roasted Potatoes
My friends and family go crazy for my crispy roast potatoes, and I really don't do anything too special to make them turn out perfectly every time. Perfect roast potatoes can be achieved by following a few easy, basic steps.
First of all, the type and quality of the potato that you use is important in any roast potato recipe. Choose a potato that is more on the floury side than the waxy side, such as the King Edward potato. The King Edward potato makes a great choice for roasting because it crisps up nicely on the outside with a light and fluffy texture on the inside; this also makes the King Edward potato a great option for homemade fries or chips.
OK, so here are the things you will need to make a good batch of perfect roast potatoes:-
- 6 Large Potatoes (peeled, quartered and thoroughly rinsed)
- 8 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt for Seasoning
The first thing you will want to do is make sure your oven is good and hot. So if you are cooking meat to serve with your roast potatoes then the best time to crank up the oven is after you have taken the meat out to rest. A temperature of 220C/425F/gas mark 7 is essential for getting your roast potatoes cooked through and crispy-crunchy. Pour the olive oil into a non-stick roasting pan and place it the oven to get really, really hot.
While the oven is reaching temperature, you are ready to parboil your potatoes. Parboiling potatoes before roasting them gives them a little "helping hand" in the cooking process and softens the edges to achieve a better crisp texture in the oven.
Put your potato pieces in a large pot, add enough cold water to slightly cover, add a pinch of salt, and bring to the boil. Simmer for no longer than 4 minutes. Drain all the water from the pot and then (with your hand firmly on the lid) give the pot 3 or 4 "shakes" to gently rough up the edges of the potatoes.
TIP: Reserve the drained water from your parboiled potatoes to use in the gravy.
Very carefully remove the pan from the oven and add the parboiled potatoes. Quickly turn them to coat in the oil and then put the pan back in the oven on the top shelf. Cook the potatoes for approximately 50-60 minutes, turning halfway through.
Remember: Do's and Don'ts for Perfect Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Wash potatoes thoroughly to remove excess starch
- Parboil them for 4 minutes
- Rough up the edges in the pot after draining
- Have the oven temperature too low
- Open the oven door more than you have to or the temperature will drop
- Flip or move the potatoes more than necessary in the roasting pan or they will turn mushy
Use a spatula to remove your perfect roast potatoes from the pan and transfer them onto paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Give them a good sprinkle of salt for added flavour and they are ready to serve!
Great Hubs - Potato Recipes
- Awesome Mashed Potato Recipes
- 3 Sweet Potato Recipes: Baked, Mashed, and Twice Baked
- French Potatoes Boulangere Potato Recipe
- Healthy Baked Potato Recipes
- Baked Sweet Potato Recipes
- 10 Boiled Potato Recipes
- Creamy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Low Carb Sweet Potato Recipe
- The Best Easy Sweet Potato Recipes