Delicious BBQ Food Recipes: Enjoy The Great Outdoors
Deliciously Tasty: BBQ Ribs
Barbecued Spare Ribs: Serves 6
- 2 kg of good quality meaty pork ribs
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped (remove seeds if you don't like too much heat)
- a can of tomatoes finely chopped in tomato sauce
- 30 g of brown sugar
- 50 ml of cider vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- Put the ribs in a pan with the onion, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook slowly for an hour.
- Drain, cover and leave to one side.
- To make the sauce mix all the remaining ingredients in a large dish.
- Add 1/2 of the sauce to the ribs and mix thoroughly.
- The ribs can be made to this point up to the day before.
- When the ribs are cold, store them and the remaining sauce in the fridge overnight if not using till the next day.
- Remove from the fridge 20 mins before cooking.
- Place the ribs on the BBQ and cook for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, turning occasionally.
- Continually brush the ribs liberally with the remaining sauce to coat.
- Serve the ribs straight from the BBQ.
Spare ribs make great appetisers and taste fantastic straight from the BBQ. If you are short of time, don't despair. Buy a ready made BBQ rib sauce and carry on from there. There are some great flavours; hickory, hot, oak, smoked, spicy, traditional.
Barbecued Steak with Chimichurri Dressing:
Choose a lean piece of sirloin or if you're feeling flush opt for fillet. A lb in weight should do it for 4 persons. If you are only serving the steak then you'll need 2 lbs for 4 persons.
Ingredients for the Chimichurri Dressing:
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- tsp of fennel seeds
- bunch of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- medium red chilli finely chopped (remove seeds if your not too keen on too much heat)
- fresh thyme leaves
- 100 ml of good olive oil
- 50 ml of red wine vinegar
- Toast the cumin and fennel seeds in a non stick pan till you get a nice fragrant whiff.
- Tip into a bowl, adding the remaining ingredients and season with pepper.
- Marinade your steak in about a 1/3 of the mixture, rubbing it well into the meat, leave to marinade for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge about 20 mins before cooking.
- When your BBQ has a good strong heat, without flames, add a little salt to your steak and place on the BBQ.
- Cook to your personal liking. I'm a rare person so 2 to 3 mins on each side.
- When the steak is cooked remove to a large plate, slice and drizzle over remaining dressing.
Three Easy, Tasty Barbecue Recipes:
1) Barbecued Pork Chops Made Simple:
This next marinade for pork chops is really easy. All you need to do is squeeze a little lemon juice over the pork chops and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Chill till ready to BBQ.
To Barbecue: drizzle with olive oil and place on your BBQ for 3 to 5 mins each side. Delicious.
2) Barbecued Curry Chicken:
Next up is a marinade for chicken. Mix 4 tsp of curry paste (from a jar) with a 125 ml pot of natural yogurt and the juice of half a lime. Leave to marinade overnight.
To Barbecue: cook on your BBQ for 3 to 4 mins on each side. I like to skewer the chicken in medium sized chunks if I have a large group of people. Easy peasy.
3) Barbecued Prawns:
Prawns are great on the BBQ. Brush with olive oil and add a sprinkle of sea salt with a squeeze of lemon (I like to skewer mine for ease) cooking for 3 to 4 mins on each side. Serve with a garlic mayo dip.
Another tasty treat: peel the BBQ prawns and brush with sweet chilli sauce (from a jar) pop back on the BBQ for 30 seconds on each side. Serve with more of the dip. Gorgeous.
I cheat with my prawns when I have lots of people round; cooking them in their shells in seasoned boiling water with sliced lemons, chilli, garlic and parsley. Drain and leave to one side till ready to BBQ. This way I know they're cooked: a sprinkle of sea salt and a quick BBQ flame adds colour and flavour.
BBQ Foods Without The Fuss
Stainless Steel Wide Metal BBQ Skewers
Using metal skewers for me is a must especially when I have a large group of people. The skewers advertised are ideal: they are longer than most and also easy to clean. I highly recommend them.
Simply skewer pieces of meat (like the chicken pieces above) leaving small gaps to allow the heat to circulate. Place on your BBQ and turn the skewer every few minutes to ensure the meat is cooked through. Take the fuss out of turning lots of pieces of meat, sausages, prawns, vegetables or whatever you fancy cooking with one simple flick of the wrist: turn your skewer.
Fab BBQ Skewers for Easy Barbecuing
Summer Sangria Recipes: add some pazazz to your parties
- How to make sangria for summer parties
The sun is shining, the BBQ is out and the world is absolutely wonderful. No! well add a jug of sangria to your luncheon and you might see the sunnier side of life. The most difficult question I shall impose...
Easy Peasy Side Dishes
Delicious Side Dishes
You will need a few easy, tasty side dishes to compliment your main BBQ dishes. Here are a few stress free side dishes everyone will enjoy eating and you will enjoy preparing...
- A salad bowl is always a good choice. In a large dish mix some lettuce leaves (from a mixed leaf bag), a thinly sliced red salad onion and 5 sliced spring onions. Drizzle over a good quality caesar salad dressing and grate in some fresh parmesan cheese. Mix to coat the leaves with the dressing. Sprinkle over some crisp croutons. A simple green salad with the wow factor.
- Fresh crusty bread is another easy addition. Slice and serve with butter and or cream cheese.
- Corn on the cob is delicious on the BBQ. Serve with a blob of butter and sprinkle of salt. To add a kick mix a sprinkle of finely chopped chili to your butter and mash to mix.
- Wrap sweet red salad onions in tinfoil with a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season and place in (among the coals) the BBQ. When you can really smell the onions cooking; they are ready to eat.
- Cut large white onions in half. Rub with olive oil and place on the BBQ. Cook till a little blackened. Sprinkle with salt and chives to serve.
- Chop up your veggie favorites, for example; courgettes, peppers, small onions, whole baby tomatoes, button mushrooms. Put into a large dish and drizzle with olive oil and a little honey. Season, mix, skewer and cook on the BBQ till tender.
- Slice an aubergine into thick slices. Place on a plate, season with salt and leave for a couple of hours or until the salt has drawn out the excess water. Squeeze over a little lemon juice, brush with olive oil and cook for 1 to 2 min each side.
- Wrap small potatoes in tinfoil with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place in the BBQ (like the wrapped onions, among the coals). When you smell that lovely baked potato smell your potatoes are ready. Serve with a knob of butter.
Check out the links listed to the right for easy, tasty salad recipes to accompany your BBQ dishes.
Potato Salad: make a great BBQ side dish without any fuss
- Perfect Potato Salad
I'm not a big fan of potatoes, I know it's a sin_my family always frown on my lack of interest in the mere potato, however I am the family treasure when it comes to my potato salad. Will I share the recipe?...
Coleslaw: a deliciously easy side dish to accompany your BBQ
- Classic Coleslaw
Coleslaw is a great accompaniment to all types of dishes, a side dish to your steak and chips or fried chicken, great with a sandwich or fresh roll, perfect with your favorite salads and brill for picnics....
BBQ Pineapple: a tasty dessert for any BBQ
And finally, the last but not least dish of the day: The dessert. After indulging in all those grilled meats, BBQ sauces and mixed salads, a dessert must be light and fresh. These grilled pineapple rings are the perfect dessert dish, add a cool topping and you have the right combination to bring your BBQ to a sweet end.
Sweet Pineapple Rings:
Peel and slice a fresh pineapple into thick rings, removing the hard core in the center. Sprinkle over a little brown sugar and place on the BBQ. Grill till slightly blackened and tender. Serve the pineapple with a choice of vanilla ice cream, natural yogurt, lime ice sorbet or simply opt for a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
The perfect end to the perfect BBQ.
More Easy Outdoor Food: Quick and Easy no Fuss Picnic Foods for Grown ups
- Picnic Food for Adults: Quick & Easy no Fuss Food Id...
Quick and easy no fuss food ideas for grown up picnics. Take the stress out of picnics with these clever food ideas and keep all the adults happy. Bring on those lazy hazy days.
© 2010 Gabriel Wilson