- Food and Cooking
Perfect Oven-Roasted Salmon with 5 Easy To Prepare Relish Recipes
Salmon is a very versatile fish to prepare. It is rich without being overtly 'fishy' tasting. While steaming and poaching enhance it's natural buttery texture, there is a method that I've been using for years because of it's simplicity that renders a crispy, caramelized crust and soft, moist tenderness every time.
Because of salmon's high fat content, searing it in a hot pan gives me that brown outer crust that I love, while searing in all the moisture. So while this is an oven-roasting technique, we begin with a fry pan........
To ensure that your fish cooks evenly, I recommend that you buy a whole center-cut fillet and cut into portions yourself or have your fishmonger portion it for you.
If you've purchased salmon with the skin on, don't fret. Use your sharpest knife to slice through the salmon skin or try a serrated knife. Once your fish is cooked, simply peel skin off before plating.
- 1 salmon fillet (with or without skin), (1 3/4 -3 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 recipe relish, (recipes below)
- Preheat oven to 375
- Pat salmon dry with paper towel. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. If skin has been removed, season both sides of salmon.
- Using a non-stick skillet, place pan on high-heat burner until hot.
- Carefully, add olive oil to skillet (olive oil should dance around pan indicating your pan is very hot)
- Place seasoned side down and gently add salmon fillets to hot skillet. Allow to sear until you can EASILY flip salmon. Once you have turned your salmon fillets, remove from heat and place into oven for 10 minutes to complete cooking process.
- Remove fish from oven and allow to rest. Once plated, top fish with relish.
What Kind of Non-Stick Skillet is Best?
I have used many non-stick pans in my career and I can tell you that they are fairly much all alike. You do not need to buy an expensive skillet. Once you have decided on one, however, protect it from scratches. Once it has been damaged, toss it.