- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Recipes from Peru-Peruvian Desserts
Video from a Peruvian restaurant
Desserts of Peru
After writing my other two articles on Peruvian Recipes for entrees and appetizers I decided I should also do one on Peruvian Desserts. There are two easy desserts that my husband will make from time to time and they are "Arroz con Leche"( Rice with Milk) and Leche Asada ( Baked Milk or custard). Both are very good and sweet and pretty inexpensive to make.
Photo of "Arroz con Leche"
Arroz con Leche (Rice with Milk) Recipe
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 cups of milk( you may use condensed and evaporated milk as well it makes it much more richer)
- 2 cups of water
- clove( to taste, I like mine without the clove but my husband has to have clove)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of sugar
- A handful of raisins
- Place rice, water cincamon and clove into a big pot and soak( you don't have to soak, but it's better if you pre-soak the rice about 30 minutes to an hour)
- Then place on stove and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmering
- Add milk, stir often to prevent sticking
- Add vanilla and sugar, cook about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle raisins and cinnamon on top when serving
Photo of "Leche Asada"
Leche Asada (Baked Milk or Custard) Recipe
- 1 can of sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of water
- Mix the milks, vanilla , eggs and half of a cup of the sugar
- In a saucepan, place the other half cup of sugar and dissolve in the 1/4 cup of water, heat carefully until it becomes syrupy and will be a tanish color
- Pour it into a glass baking dish and then pour the milk mixture on top( you may also use individual custard baking glasses)
- Get a larger glass pan that will fit the custard pan inside of it
- Fill the larger glass pan halfway or so with water and place the glass pan of custard mix inside larger pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake in the over for 30-45 minutes at 400 degrees or until completely cooked