- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Philippine-Style Chicken Vermicelli
This dish is very common in the Philippines. It fills you up and tastes great, also the cooking time is very reasonable. It is a hassle-free dish and most of these ingredients are probably lying around your kitchen. Remember to cut lemon wedges and spritz it over the noodles just before eating it, it will give the right sourness to the dish. I hope you decide to try it!
- 1 2.5 - 3lb chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 cup anatto water (optional). It is just crushed anatto seeds in water. It is used to give the dish an orange-reddish colour. To make the anatto water the ratio is 1 tbsp of anatto seeds to 4 tbsp of water.
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1/2 cup Chinese dried mushrooms (soak in 2 cups water, strain and add the liquid to chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut julienne-style and then cut in half
- 1/2 cup leeks, cut julienne-style and then cut in half
- 1/4 cup celery, cut julienne-style and then cut in half
- 1/2 pound sotanghon noodles, also known as vermicelli or bean threads. Soak it in water, when soft, cut into 6-inch lengths
- 1/2 - 1 tsp of fish sauce or salt and pepper to taste
- Boil chicken, bay leaves, peppercorns and the 1 cup of onion and anatto water (optional) in a stockpot. Once finished set aside and let cool.
- Strain the chicken broth. Use a sieve, set aside.
- Remove the skin of the chicken and discard it, cut the chicken meat into thin strips.
- Using a wok or frying pan sauté garlic and 1/2 cup onion until transparent.
- Add the chicken strips.
- Stir in 3 cups chicken broth, bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Add the carrots, leeks and celery.
- Add vermicelli noodles.
- Turn down the heat to medium high heat. Add fish sauce for flavour and the salt. If you do not have fish sauce, salt and pepper is a great substitute.
Try some of these other recipe ideas
- Greek salad with low fat dressing
- Persian Salad
- Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pasta
- Easy Spaghetti with Chicken Bolognese
- Simple and Healthy Chicken Stir_Fry Recipe
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Chinese Style
- Spaghetti with Chicken Meatballs
- Best Tzatziki Sauce Recipe Step by Step Guide
- Healthy and Easy Greek Salad Dressing