- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Healthy Pizza Recipes: Filo Or Phyllo Dough Pizza With Feta, Basil And Tomatoes
Phyllo Dough Pizza
Another marvelous way to cut calories and make your own pizza! Phyllo (filo , fillo ) dough pizza is very easy to make and this is but one idea for ingredients.
Phyllo dough is found in the freezer section of the supermarket and usually comes in a 2-roll pack. Remember to defrost the phyllo dough for 2 hours before assembling the pizza but then the phyllo dough will last in the refrigerator for weeks afterward. Return the unused roll to the freezer.
Try the video recipe for the dessert phyllo concoction - it looks fantastic and now I'm glad I have leftover phyllo dough in my fridge.
This is a great recipe from Cooking Light magazine some time back that I just love to tweak to what I have at hand.
Phyllo Dough Pizza ala Caprese (More or Less)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano - or 1/2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 sheets of frozen phyllo dough thawed (2 hours needed to thaw)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups thinly sliced plum/Roma tomatoes - drained on paper towels before placing on
- 1/3 cup thin sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a cooking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine mozzarella cheese through salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on cooking sheet - spray with cooking spray. Add 2 more pieces of phyllo dough, spraying each one with cooking spray - so they are stacked. (This gives you your crispness)
- Sprinkle phyllo dough layer with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat this 5 more times at the end ending with 2 phyllo sheets.
- Coat the top phyllo sheet with the cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top but leave a little border from edge of phyllo dough.
- Sprinkle with green onions and remaining 6 tablespoons of cheese mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves - or add basil leaves a minute or so before done cooking.
- Allow to stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Apple Phyllo Pizza
- Use gorgonzola cheese with or instead of the feta cheese
- Use fontina cheese or another Italian cheese in place of mozzarella
- Combine grilled chicken, spinach leaves, and kalamata olives for the top layer
- Use sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and kalamata olives for the top layer
- Use your imagination - anything that you can imagine on a pizza, it works here although you need to put something thinly between the layers of the phyllo dough such as cheeses to give it some body and denseness
- It also refrigerates well and is just as crispy the next day
More Phyllo Hubs
- An Easy Way to Use Phyllo Dough for Breakfast, Brunc...
Fyllo or phyllo dough, can be used in many ways, but I am going to show you one of the easiest ways to play with it, and cook for any meal. For Breakfast: Rum Grape fyllo fold overs: ...
- Culinary Basics: Cooking with Phyllo Dough - Pork The...
The culinary basics of working with phyllo dough (also spelled fillo dough and filo dough) are simple - most people use phyllo dough for its lovely presentation or they use it in place of another medium. ...
- Culinary Basics: Phyllo Dough
More and more folks are discovering in their voyage through culinary basics that there are healthier alternatives to some old standards that we have used for years. Case in point - phyllo dough. Also called...
- Butternut Squash and Basil Pizza
I found this recipe on a package for Mama Marys individual pizza crust recipes but I decided to go a little further and tweak this recipe to incorporate a few more ingredients. The original recipe calls...
- Chicken Spinach Feta Mushroom Pizza
I mostly advocate homemade but let's face it - sometimes we all have to cut a few corners if we need to make something quick and still have it resemble homemade. Tonight, I was faced with making something...
- How To Make Spanukapitta(Greek Phyllo-Spinach Pie)
A long time favorite of the family.Great for potlucks. Her are a list of ingrediets; 16 (12X15